Tan on Khaki & Green on Green Master Sgt. Chevrons

Wedgehead30

As I understand it the tan on Khaki was unauthorized but very commonly used throughout WW2. Do I have that right?

The Green on Green have me baffled. Are they just a manufacturers variation?

post-124172-0-74704700-1472791259_thumb.jpg

Captainofthe7th

I hope someone can confirm the origin of these as I see them occasionally and wonder about them. Often enough where they do seem to be a manufacturers variant, but maybe only once in every fifty or more uniforms. Maybe 1/100. For a long time I was only seeing them on Pacific theater coats, but I have seen a couple on European theater so that kind of killed that theory, but they're definitely more prominent on PTO coming home jackets.

Rob

Get a copy of Bill Emerson's book on U.S. Army chevrons and it will explain all the details on these chevrons. You'r pretty much on target with the khaki chevrons. With the green stripes on blue WOOL, now those are WWII and later. After the war in about 1952, the Army brought back the green on blue stripes but on TWILL. In that later set, there was no 3 stripe sergeant as the Army didn't use that insignia again till 1958. In those green on dark blue wool, you will find all kinds of manufacturers variations in color and even shape of the stripes.

Bottom line; if you want the correct skinney on Army chevrons, buy a copy of the above mentioned book.

Get a copy of Bill Emerson's book on U.S. Army chevrons and it will explain all the details on these chevrons. You'r pretty much on target with the khaki chevrons. With the green stripes on blue WOOL, now those are WWII and later. After the war in about 1952, the Army brought back the green on blue stripes but on TWILL. In that later set, there was no 3 stripe sergeant as the Army didn't use that insignia again till 1958. In those green on dark blue wool, you will find all kinds of manufacturers variations in color and even shape of the stripes.

Bottom line; if you want the correct skinney on Army chevrons, buy a copy of the above mentioned book.

I actually have a copy of Mr. Emerson's book. It is indeed very informative. But I couldn't find any reference to the green on green wool. These are most definitely on green wool. Unless I'm severely color blind, I don't see any hint of blue. They almost look like they could be at home on a USMC Service class A coat.

post-124172-0-62931900-1472959311_thumb.jpg

I have several of the green on green wool chevrons. They actually come in two background colors; one was green (like an army blanket) and the other is a chocolate brown. I showed them to Emerson and he said they were just another variation of WWII era chevrons.

I have several of the green on green wool chevrons. They actually come in two background colors; one was green (like an army blanket) and the other is a chocolate brown. I showed them to Emerson and he said they were just another variation of WWII era chevrons.

I would say Mr. Emerson's statement is definitive. Thank you for the information.

Scott