Hand Painted Tank Destroyer Sign/Plaque

MasonK

Was in Rhode Island the past few days on business, and wound up checking out some of the local antique shops.

At one of the shops, I found this hand painted, TD sign, hanging low on a peg board. Appeared to be lead paint, and looked to have age, so I took a chance. Pen in the photos is for scale.

Thanks to some of the fellas on the USMF Facebook page for pushing me to make the purchase, more specifically Bob Chatt.

In any case, I hope you enjoy. Feel free to add any similar TD signage that may be out there in collections, as I'd love to see another example to add credibility to my example.

Feedback is of course welcomed!

Thanks!

post-29885-0-84034600-1472749176_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-94033500-1472749180_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-79142500-1472749183_thumb.jpg

I was curious of that myself.

There is a theater made version of the patch with a red background, with an attached 661st scroll (see post 39 in the thread linked below). Not implying any connection, and could very well be the result of lack of orange thread.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56185-tank-destroyer-ssi-and-insignia/page-2

Could be the same reason, as you mentioned. Although technically, seeing as they had red and yellow paint, they could have mixed up a batch of orange.

I was able to find a comparable sign posted by a member of the forum (post 404 in thread linked below). Red paint was also used for the background, however there is no yellow paint used in the sign. In that scenario, red may have been the only available paint.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/56185-tank-destroyer-ssi-and-insignia/page-17

Thats a nice sign!...i would think the red might have a signifigance because if you have red and yellow paint you can easily make orange....mike

I tend to agree with this as well (unless they did not make the connection...........)

I have nothing to support it but gut tells me red was used for a reason.

I didn't want to imply that, but it could easily have been the person painting the sign was unaware of the fact red and yellow make orange.

Would love to hear otherwise, and that it has some significance. If so, it may help me to tie it back to a specific battalion.

Thanks, Andy!

The only worthwhile shop was the one where I found the sign. I visited two others, but it was mostly glassware, jewelry and doilies!

The Rhode Island Antiques Mall - 345 Fountain St, Pawtucket, RI 02860

It's a two floor co-op. Quite a few dealers with militaria. Left behind a nice AAF uniform with bullion 1st AAF SSI (US made Gemsco I believe) on the first floor. There was a 77th ID officer's uniform in the basement, with a custom made ribbon rack. Other bits in pieces scattered throughout (insignia, headgear, uniforms, field gear, etc), ranging from Civil War to modern times. Some non-US items as well.

Im not too far from there and check it out every once and awhile, pulled a few cool things out of that place....mike

I would definitely check out the place again. I visit Rhode Island once or twice a year for work, but probably won't make it again until next year.

I've been to quite a few antique mall's, and always go in expecting to find nothing, or common items that have been overpriced. was pleasantly surprised to see a fair amount of militaria at this place, and prices were reasonable.

This came out of a locker buy in Austin about a year ago. I had a chance to buy it but it would have cost more to ship it to me than it would be worth. Had the veterans name on it also and a nazi flag inside.

A shame, as it is a nice looking trunk. Although trunks are a space killer. Have two painted USMC trunks already. Had to pass on a trunk that was part of a large husband and wife grouping, as the thing was monstrous. Maybe I just need a bigger house!