1995 LanCay M9 "PI"- (Product Improved Scabbard PROTOTYPE) Find

bobcat87

I believe that I just hit the surplus bayonet jackpot. I have searched for one of these for years and unfortunately it did not come with the original scabbard, which is understandable after being in service. Anyway, this bayonet exhibits about 85% of the original black blade finish and appears to have the correct grey crossguard, buttplate, screw, and tang rod. It also appears to have the correct shade of green grip, which is also in nice condition. But most important of all it has the product improved BLACK blade with the first contract, non-hyphenated tang stamp. According to page 26 at m9m4.com, there were only about 50 total units made. I would imagine that many were probably destroyed during testing. The really cool thing is that I believe this is one of the first 50 black blade bayonets made by LANCAY for the military(they made a version of the XM9 before this one but it is different because it had the injected grips). I think this M9 is an exact representation of the bayonet(not scabbard) approved by the military for the second contract Lan-Cay PI bayonet with the black blade. The only difference that I am aware of is the original 1st contract tang stamp on mine(LANCAY instead of Lan-Cay). Are there any experts out there that do not mind offering their opinions? Thanks!

post-77723-0-05831600-1472693220.jpg

post-77723-0-05172000-1472693255.jpg

post-77723-0-93560200-1472693277.jpg

Interesting it also has the second contract pattern saw teeth on it. If I'm remembering the correct story, weren't these blades originally held back because the tip of the blade was a little thin? I never have seen a description of the measurements, but maybe if you have access to some first contract blades to compare it to.

Yes. That is true about the saw. That is a characteristic of the product improved blade along with the little nub on the back of the blade being removed from the original 1st contract design.

I think the thinner blades you refer to were for another black blade, 2nd contract knife that were made up from left over 1st contact blades. I believe my bayonet is actually a prototype according to m9m4.com. The tang stamp is just what was being used at the time in 1995.

I really hate to burst your bubble, but you have a standard second contract bayonet. The change from LanCay to Lan-Cay took place during the second contract, so yours is an early second contract blade, but there's nothing special or unique about it.

The bayonet you reference on Mr. Moon's site is a standard bayonet with a special scabbard. They made two different scabbards with modified web designs that were submitted for evaluation. They made about 50 of each type scabbard but the bayonets were run of the mill standard production.