WW2 Horse Cavalry and Mule photos

124cav

Hey Chaps

Ive been collecting US Horse Cavalry from ww2 and related stuff for over 15 years

Here is some of my snaps

Carbine scabbard on the saddle at Ft Riley 1942,1st Training Regiment

CarbineScabbardJune1942.jpg

The last Cavalry Parade at Junction City.Kansas November 11,1946

img862.jpg

Troop F,124th Cavalry at Fort Riley 1944

img564.jpg

10th QM Battalion on D series manouvers 1944

10thMountainMule.jpg

3rd Recon Troop(Provisional)

Anzio,1944

img059.jpg

1st/475th December 1944

img690.jpg

35th QM Pack Troop,1944 Burma

img621.jpg

257th Pack Coy,D Series 1944

257PackCoySkinners.jpg

Horse Platoon,78th Recon Troop,78th ID Berlin 1945

HorsePlatoon78thRecon-1.jpg

Field Artillery afloat,4th Grd Transportation Btn float Phillips pack saddles,Fort Sill 1944

img802.jpg

Lt Bill Warren,CO 252nd QM Pack Troop on manouvers

Billwarrallpetepeteonleftmycoandahe.jpg

Infantry from the 78th Division attend pack class at Camp Carson

img352.jpg

Great shots. A nice look at the end of an era, mounted troops and horse drawn equipment. I have always been fascinated with Cav photos from the earlieer years of the 20th century. An odd overlap period where mechanization and horse power existed side by side. I recently found 2 yard long photos from 1923 showing the 5th Cav Regt Band. Mounted and dismounted with musical instruments at the ready.. Great Stuff

Great shots. A nice look at the end of an era, mounted troops and horse drawn equipment. I have always been fascinated with Cav photos from the earlieer years of the 20th century. An odd overlap period where mechanization and horse power existed side by side. I recently found 2 yard long photos from 1923 showing the 5th Cav Regt Band. Mounted and dismounted with musical instruments at the ready.. Great Stuff

Thanks for the comments.The CRTC trained Horse Cavalry until 1946

Troop L,29th cavalry regiment 1944.The 29th was a training regiment and apears in the ww2 Cavalry films

img094.jpg

513th QM Pack Coy

img886.jpg

img887.jpg

img892.jpg

Vet Detachment,8th Cavalry Regiment,1942 Ft Bliss

img853.jpg

img852.jpg

img851.jpg

Troop E,14th Cavalry,1941 Camp Funston,Ft Riley

Very relaxed dress,denim,denim daisy may,chino breeches

img760.jpg

Thank you for sharing your collection of photos. I suppose most of us forget that along with the Cavalry, the Artillery, Quartermaster Corps, and Veterinary Corps all had horses to one degree or another during WWII. I know here in San Diego, one of the few Active Duty Army detachments is a small Veterinary Clinic at Fort Rosecrans. They work on Military Working Dogs these days.

Anybody specialize in the 112th Cav? I ask because years ago a vet showed me two photos of the regimental band in New Caledonia -- wearing cammies with white leggins and belting! I would love to recapture those images. IIRC the prints were marked on the back as being official, with a Sig Corps credit, but I could never find them in the Army photo collection(s).

My main focus is the 112th and 124th cavalry

I have some stills from the mounted regimental review on New Caledonia

Ill put them up soonish.Its my life mission to make folks aware of the US Horse Cavalry at home and abroad during and after WW2

abyhows ill get back to work

Good to see you posting some of your considerable photograph collection Sam. thumbsup.gif

Please keep it up.

I am sure that a lot of folks will find your pictures very enlightening.

The photograph of the 3rd Recon Troop(Provisional) taken Anzio,1944 (shown bottom in post 1) is one of my all time favorites.

"Why walk when you can hitch a ride" w00t.gif

Is the second soldier in that pic riding a mule or is it just a very short horse?

Vet Detachment,8th Cavalry Regiment,1942 Ft Bliss

img853.jpg

My great Uncle Wayne was in the Headquartes troop of the 8th. I have his photo albums all the way from 1937-45. Many nice photos from Ft Bliss thru the Pacific

Thanks for sharing

Mike

My great Uncle Wayne was in the Headquartes troop of the 8th. I have his photo albums all the way from 1937-45. Many nice photos from Ft Bliss thru the Pacific

Thanks for sharing

Mike

Gday Mike

hows about sharing?

understood either way

thanks

Sam

Anybody specialize in the 112th Cav? I ask because years ago a vet showed me two photos of the regimental band in New Caledonia -- wearing cammies with white leggins and belting! I would love to recapture those images. IIRC the prints were marked on the back as being official, with a Sig Corps credit, but I could never find them in the Army photo collection(s).

I have a 112th thread running now

I have a 112th thread running now

Hey 124cav: Is this Sam Cox from the Society of the Military Horse? A lot of those photos look very familiar.

Retired (Dallas)

Hey 124cav: Is this Sam Cox from the Society of the Military Horse? A lot of those photos look very familiar.

Retired (Dallas)

Gday Dallas

Yep,its Sam here

• 2 weeks later...
as promised a few photos from my uncles albums. Enjoy and I do have more when i get a chance to scan more.

Mike

Dont to harrass you but any more from the family album?

no harrasment felt here... :) i will scan a few more for you today or tomorrow.. Glad there is some interest.. My Uncle Wayne prolly is getting a kick out the attention.. He was an extreme extrovert lol

Mike

Dont to harrass you but any more from the family album?

last 2 for now... the first one has one the back "my squad, what's left of it" and the other I thought would be of interest because of his uniform.

hope you enjoy as much as i have sharing, Mike

post-1387-1224119702.jpg

post-1387-1224119714.jpg