Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces

ehrentitle

Al (CW4AFB) and I are proud to announce the upcoming release of our new book "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces". This almost 400-page book includes over 1,000 photos, and will be available on 28 December 2016 from Schiffer Publishing.

29270964981_a6f83f7b82_c.jpg

The book is the result of nearly two years of research, writing and editing. We reached out to numerous collectors and veterans for background and images. The book would not have been possible without the help of many fellow forum member here on USMF. The result is a comprehensive reference that provides detailed pictures of desert uniforms, patches, and insignia worn by the US Armed Forces in combat from Desert Storm, through Somalia and in the more recent hard fought campaigns of Iraq and Afghanistan. We have covered the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and even the Coast Guard.

More information can be found on Schiffer’s website: http://www.schifferbooks.com/desert-uniforms-patches-and-insignia-of-the-us-armed-forces-6112.html

We also have a Facebook forum that not only provides updates on the book, but also has turned into a place where other collectors share their images of desert uniforms and insignia: http://www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform

"Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" is available now for pre-order by most major booksellers in the US as well as in Europe and Asia.

Kevin Born & Al Barns

Kevin,

This is great.. Kudos to you and Al for taking on this project. I am looking forward to purchasing your book..

Congrats..

Leigh

Thanks Leigh! Of course the desert Berlin Brigade patch will be in the book. With the help of another collector i was even able to track down and obtain a photo of a rare DCU worn by a Berlin Brigade soldier during Operation Provide Comfort in Turkey.

Cool. Looking forward to it. Congrats.

Longhorn92, Thanks. It was a labor of love and Al and I learned a great deal in the process of researching and writing the book. We were also fortunate to make some great contacts at The Institute of Heraldry, the Defense Logistics Agency and the US Army Natick Soldier System Center that provided some great insight into the procurement, manufacture and specifications of desert uniforms, patches and insignia.

And we had several collectors here in the US and in Europe that were kind enough to photograph uniforms and insignia from their collections for the book. One loaned us his extensive theater made patch collection to scan for the book, another traveled from Ft. Knox, KY to here in Virginia with three duffle bags of desert uniforms and helmet just so we could produce high quality photos of them. A retired Army general that kindly invited us to his house to photograph his SF uniforms. And there was moments of serendipity, like the time I turned the corner at my office and saw that a coworker had brought the Close Combat Uniform he wore in Iraq to to work to show a friend. You can't get much better than that for documentation. His CCU and a photo of him wearing it in northern Iraq in a snow storm are on the the book.

Kevin

Looking forward to this book!

Pete

Thanks Pete, I couldn't have written Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces if Al was not the co-author. He has extensive experience writing books for Schiffer and skillfully navigated us through their publication process and took the editorial staff to task when their vision was not the same as ours. We are a great team, but every once in a while we would have our differences. When we did the National Guard chapter, Al was convinced the grape vines on the Connecticut Army National Guard desert patch were nutmeg plants. And he continued to argue with me for days despite the overwhelming evidence (showing him the color patch, TIOH description, state coat of arms) that he was wrong. To this day he still claims the true meaning of this symbol is nutmeg. lol

The other thing that we discovered was the ever expanding number of collectors here in the US and World-Wide who collect desert uniforms and insignia. On our Facebook page we have had several collectors comment that they thought they were the only person interested in this area, but they are indeed not alone. I also discovered a passion for collecting US Coast Guard desert uniforms and insignia, and leaned of their little know work in Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom as I wrote their chapter.

Over the period that we researched and wrote the book we have also seen the number of quality fully patched and badged DBDUs and DCUs offered for sale decline and the prices start to rise with collector interest. I went from paying $2-$5 for quality tops, to an average of $5-$20. And some modified uniforms and those with theater made insignia can go for much more.

For those who are collecting desert uniforms or are thinking about collecting they we encourage you to check out our Facebook page were all things desert uniform related are discussed: http://www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform

Kevin

As you all can tell, Kevin has a cruel streak---next thing he'll be trying to claim that I limited the number of 10th Mountain Division, Berlin Brigade, and Rigger patches that he could cram into the book....right up to the last second , he was trying to sneak more pictures ---

Al

Thanks Pete, I couldn't have written Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces if Al was not the co-author. He has extensive experience writing books for Schiffer and skillfully navigated us through their publication process and took the editorial staff to task when their vision was not the same as ours. We are a great team, but every once in a while we would have our differences. When we did the National Guard chapter, Al was convinced the grape vines on the Connecticut Army National Guard desert patch were nutmeg plants. And he continued to argue with me for days despite the overwhelming evidence (showing him the color patch, TIOH description, state coat of arms) that he was wrong. To this day he still claims the true meaning of this symbol is nutmeg. lol

The other thing that we discovered was the ever expanding number of collectors here in the US and World-Wide who collect desert uniforms and insignia. On our Facebook page we have had several collectors comment that they thought they were the only person interested in this area, but they are indeed not alone. I also discovered a passion for collecting US Coast Guard desert uniforms and insignia, and leaned of their little know work in Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom as I wrote their chapter.

Over the period that we researched and wrote the book we have also seen the number of quality fully patched and badged DBDUs and DCUs offered for sale decline and the prices start to rise with collector interest. I went from paying $2-$5 for quality tops, to an average of $5-$20. And some modified uniforms and those with theater made insignia can go for much more.

For those who are collecting desert uniforms or are thinking about collecting they we encourage you to check out our Facebook page were all things desert uniform related are discussed: http://www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform

Kevin

As you all can tell, Kevin has a cruel streak---next thing he'll be trying to claim that I limited the number of 10th Mountain Division, Berlin Brigade, and Rigger patches that he could cram into the book....right up to the last second , he was trying to sneak more pictures ---

Al

One thing that Al said is true, I was pushing up until the end to add as many high quality photos of theater made desert patches and unique DCUs/DBDUs into the book as possible. With over 1,000 mostly color photos already in the book and the formatting set it was a challenge to get the editor to add more, but he did. Here is a teaser photo that shows a few pages that gives a sense of how the book is laid out. The middle sheet of paper is actually a screen shot of sections of four pages. I had to obscure the back cover of the book as we are obligated to keep it under wraps until the book is released in December.

29184248772_a728707875_b.jpg

I will buy it as soon as it will be available.

Thanks Boxcar. It's available for pre-order in Europe through Amazon. Both Amazon.de and Amazon.fr have it listed, it appears to be much cheaper in Germany:

http://www.amazon.de/Desert-Uniforms-Patches-Insignia-Forces/dp/0764352067

http://www.amazon.fr/Desert-Uniforms-Patches-Insignia-Forces/dp/0764352067

If you are not a member of our Facebook groups we would encourage you to join, it's a place to discuss all things desert uniform and insignia related:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform

Really looking forward to adding this one to the library..

Leigh

Thanks Leigh. Al and I have seen the final book proof pages and are just as excited to see it come out in December. Our first review a few months back was just text and photo captions, so it was hard to get a feel for the completed book. Then the .pdf proofs with more than 1,000 color photos showed up in e-mail from our editor. I was at work and couldn't access it, but Al was at home and kept cruelly sending me teaser screen shots of some great pages of the book, trying to get me to leave work early and start reviewing the proofs. It was like waiting all day for Christmas to arrive, but when I finally made it home at 5:30 pm it was well worth it. We saw months of work and our vision translated into a great book by the publisher. Kevin

Kevin,

I just preordered mine...

Wife's Christmas present to me..

Leigh :)

Much appreciated! I'll probably end up going broke buying copies of the book for family members for Christmas. My mother and sister insist I send them copies of the book, and then there are my children.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I go about obtaining a signed copy? Will you receive some proofs for this purpose?

Paul, Of course Al and I will autograph books, especially for you since you provided so much help with the Coast Guard chapter.

We don't plan on keeping many books on hand because Amazon and others are offering the book world-wide, often with free shipping which reduces the overall cost to the buyer. Several booksellers are offering per-orders of "Desert Uniforms, Patches and Insignia of the US Armed Forces", and I recommend doing some comparison shopping because some are already offering discounts on the price.

We are working on a way to provide signatures for those who not here on the Mid-Atlantic coast; perhaps on a bookplate that could be inexpensive mailed.

I'm also trying to convince Al to set up a table at the MAX and SOS shows with me after the book is published in December.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Al (CW4AFB) and I each received our author's advance copy of "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" in the mail this week. We are very excited as the book turned out even better than we expected! With over 1,000 photos and packed with information it has something for nearly everyone. The release is on 28 December, just 45 days away, major booksellers are taking pre-orders.

For those who are collecting desert uniforms or are thinking about collecting they we encourage you to check out our Facebook page were all things desert uniform related are discussed: http://www.facebook....s/DesertUniform

Here are a few preview photos of the book...

30969295555_c9397b68ba_c.jpg

25333496909_2b2093b5ca_c.jpg

Al and I were privileged yesterday to have MG Bowra, who kindly wrote the Forward, sign out books.

25333495189_cb7766bed9_c.jpg

Pages from Chapter 2 relating to patch types.

25333495869_c81eeac87a_c.jpg

Pages from Chapter 3 on Army Commands, Activities and Agencies

30933880276_af74553380_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon has a $10 discount on all books $25 or more thru 28 Nov, which can be used when purchasing "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" Just use "HOLIDAYBOOK" at checkout under the "Gift cards & promotional codes" section to receive the $10 discount.

https://www.amazon.com/Desert-Uniforms-Patches-Insignia-Forces/dp/0764352067

• 2 weeks later...

I will be looking forward to ordering this book as it appears to be very extensive. Thanks for the posting!

Much appreciated. Schiffer books tend to be on the expensive side, however it's 344 pages with 1,100 color photos so it's a big book with a lot of great content.

• 2 weeks later...

My copy of Kevin and Al's book arrived safe and sound on the 22nd of Deceember.. Looking forward to opening my gift under the tree in a few more hours..

Will be sure to give you all an update after opening and looking through the book. It looks to be a great reference book for some short lived shoulder sleeve insignia and uniforms..

Well done Kevin and Al...

Leigh

Thanks Leigh, good to see that the book arrived safely a week before the official release date. The fact that you wrapped it up before looking at it shows great discipline. I'm sure you will enjoy page 121. Kevin

My copy of Kevin and Al's book arrived safe and sound on the 22nd of Deceember.. Looking forward to opening my gift under the tree in a few more hours..

Will be sure to give you all an update after opening and looking through the book. It looks to be a great reference book for some short lived shoulder sleeve insignia and uniforms..

Well done Kevin and Al...

Leigh

Thanks Leigh---Your action in not looking at it is a sign of true discipline...that's hardcore....

I hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas --

Al

Amazon just listed our new book "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" as their #1 new hot release in their Military History category! And it's not officially released until 28 December.

31756558681_e5a13c40c2_c.jpg

31500270860_80c79e36aa_c.jpg