USN Invasion Liner? Thoughts?

jbassmaster18

jbassmaster18

So I got this liner with a Navy lid, and it looks like it once had a white stripe across the top of the liner as well as a circle on each side. It is an original set and I was just curious if anyone has seen anything like this before??

post-67068-0-15390100-1472413735_thumb.jpg

post-67068-0-37038600-1472413756_thumb.jpg

post-67068-0-22859600-1472413801_thumb.jpg

Hi

I seen a few liners with lines painted on them, but i don't think they are invasion related.

I seem to remember seeing them with red or white lines. I am sure the thoughts at the time were aiming aid or artillery related.

Regards

Tom

These have been seen with Red and White stripes and are often associated with training, however, there is a D-Day photo(can't find it now) of a soldier wearing one with a white stripe.

stealthytyler

These have been seen with Red and White stripes and are often associated with training, however, there is a D-Day photo(can't find it now) of a soldier wearing one with a white stripe.

The photo you are referring to are I believe Rangers during the invasion of Anzio.

stealthytyler

I would guess Army training liner. Probably had the unit logos on the sides and a white stripe from front to back. Can you post a photo of the lid? If the lid is Navy, they are probably not original to each other.

There are several pictures out there of paras taken with a white stripe standing in the door. I have also seen pictures of engineers in the ETO on bridging units with white stripes on their helmets in various configurations, i.e. A single strip and those forming an X or cross on top or front to back, side to side. I think they designated team Chiefs or maybe officers responsible for different aspects of bridge building so they could be easily identified from a distance.

Just google George Koskimaki's book about D-day and the 2nd edition cover has a picture of a paratrooper with a stripe on his helmet. His liner might have one. Books on the rangers at pt du hoc will also have them.

stealthytyler

Just google George Koskimaki's book about D-day and the 2nd edition cover has a picture of a paratrooper with a stripe on his helmet. His liner might have one. Books on the rangers at pt du hoc will also have them.

That photo is obviously during training. Did they land in Normandy with these stripes? Ive never seen an in-country photo with a stripe.

stealthytyler

You posted one. I believe those are 2nd rangers in an Lca in port Weymouth before they headed out to the larger ships. June 1-2?

I always thought these were troops heading into Anzio... I cant back that up though

I'm traveling but Robert Blacks books are good but in the series of pictures in the LCA is a Lt who wrote a book, he is looking at the camera. I cannot recall his name but he went back to Texas and owned an auction house etc. it's a good read but it documents this series of pictures.

stealthytyler

I'm traveling but Robert Blacks books are good but in the series of pictures in the LCA is a Lt who wrote a book, he is looking at the camera. I cannot recall his name but he went back to Texas and owned an auction house etc. it's a good read but it documents this series of pictures.

It sounds like this would suggest that the stripe is just to signify that he is the LT. This is why no one else has a stripe.