Re-Patching a Dress Uniform

ww2vault

Update: I have a pair of Tech Sergeant chevrons and a 5th AAF patch in the mail and on their way. I also found what I think is some vintage thread so once the patches arrive I will try my hand at sewing them on. Once I do so, I will post pictures of the jacket before and after so you guys can get a better idea. Stay tuned!

- Jeff

Update: I have a pair of Tech Sergeant chevrons and a 5th AAF patch in the mail and on their way. I also found what I think is some vintage thread so once the patches arrive I will try my hand at sewing them on. Once I do so, I will post pictures of the jacket before and after so you guys can get a better idea. Stay tuned!

- Jeff

Another option is to get a GI sewing kit (or "housewife"), if you're going to do it by hand. A bit more expensive, but then you KNOW it's legit thread.

Good luck!

Thrasher

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Well after a long enough wait, I finally have the tech sergeant chevrons and 5th AAF patch. All I need now is the thread and collar disc's. Here is a photo I took with the patches on the uniform, pinned on of course! :)

- Jeff

post-1090-1227288152.jpg

I used to go to the trouble of using WW2 thread out of a sewing kit. That thread gets fragile with age. Talk to your seamstress there is an all cotton thread they use for quilting or needle point I forget which, it comes in GI colors and has the strength you need to keep the patch on. I have my seamstress sew all patches on by hand. My preference. I have noticed that some WW2 discharges have been glued on uniforms. I do not recommend this practise. I personally have no problem restoring uniforms as long as it is documented. I have even had widows offer to sew back on their loved ones patches. I have some collar devices if you need them, either screw or pin back. PM me.

Tony

normaninvasion

If your still looking for thread go tohttp://www.warrelics.com/ go to the ww2 section, than go to patches, he has spools of issue od and khaki. Hope this is what you need. Richard is a great guy, to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

I met a 101st vet some time ago and asked him if he still had his uniform....he did, but he had removed the disks and division patch from it.

I had his uniform dry cleaned for him and re-applied the division patch....but behind the patch I put a note with my name and home town, and that I had reaffixed the original patch to the uniform, along with the date and the vets name.

That way if a patch-pirate tries to canibalize it, maybe it will give them pause and people will recognize it as an ID'd uniform.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it has been a long journey, but I have pretty much finished the jacket. When I first received the uniform all that it had on it was the Ruptured Duck patch. A big thanks goes out to Bugme and Bones for providing the collar disc's and ribbon bars for the uniform. All that is left is to replace the one button on the front of the jacket, but I will be doing that today since some extras just arrived in the mail. Below I attached a picture of below and after.

- Jeff

post-1090-1230582464.jpg

post-1090-1230582493.jpg

Here is a picture of the stitching of the uniform of one of the patches I sewed on. I went as far as to buy a WWII sewing kit and use the vintage thread to sew them on.

- Jeff

post-1090-1230583477.jpg

Lucky 7th Armored

very nicely done, and great effort and the sewing looks great!

i saw the 5th airforce patch and i just got a uniform group, the dress uniform, and the trench coat that was never used because they were in the pacific...lol but my uniform has the same stuff as yours, was your guy a radio dude? or what?

Thanks for the kind remarks. :)

Also, WW2 Buff, Mr. Hackett was indeed a radioman, how did you guess? Ernest was in the Pacific for three years and maintained the communication equipment on the P-38's in his squadron. He unit was under a lot of fire from Japanese fighters and at one point, was threatened by infantry.

Do you know any information on who your uniform lot belongs to?

- Jeff

Lucky 7th Armored

As of right now the uniform is not ID'd but i am gonna go back and check, but i guesses because your uniform has all the same pins as mine, so i was just assuming. Do you know of a site where i can check the 5th aaf roster?

• 2 months later...

I'm in the process of restoring my Grandfathers Ike jacket and I need to know the correct measurements for the patches.

How far down from the shoulder are the patches?

How far down from the shoulder are the stripes placed?

How far up from the cuff are the overseas bars and hashmark placed?

How far up from the cuff is the M.U.C. on the right side placed?

Is the Ruptured Duck centered over the right brest pocket?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, many thanks, Sean

I'm in the process of restoring my Grandfathers Ike jacket and I need to know the correct measurements for the patches.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, many thanks, Sean

How far down from the shoulder are the patches? Insignia:1/2" from the shoulder

How far down from the shoulder are the stripes placed? Half way between shoulder and elbow

How far up from the cuff are the overseas bars and hashmark placed? Service Stripes: 4 inches from cuff. Overseas bars:1/2" up from the Service Stripes

How far up from the cuff is the M.U.C. on the right side placed? Meritorious Unit: 4 inches from the cuff

Is the Ruptured Duck centered over the right brest pocket? Yes

I have a couple other Ike's in my collection and after measuring them it seems there are some differences, not everything is the same as the spec's that you sent me in reply. I'm sure that's typical though as there are a ton of variances on WWII Ike's and 4-pockets.

On the Service stripe it would be 4 inches from the bottom of the cuff to the lower point of the service stripe right? Since these are sewn on at an angle, it would be 4 inches from the bottom of the cuff to the lowest point on the strip and centered on the sleeve, I assume.

Stinger Gunner USMC
I have a couple other Ike's in my collection and after measuring them it seems there are some differences, not everything is the same as the spec's that you sent me in reply. I'm sure that's typical though as there are a ton of variances on WWII Ike's and 4-pockets.

On the Service stripe it would be 4 inches from the bottom of the cuff to the lower point of the service stripe right? Since these are sewn on at an angle, it would be 4 inches from the bottom of the cuff to the lowest point on the strip and centered on the sleeve, I assume.

There are always going to be exceptions to the rules. The numbers Bugme posted are the regulations. During WWII many soldiers sailors and marines got away with out being up to reg's. (poor sewing jobs on ranks and SSI were very common, as with impropper placement of pin on ribbons and other insignia) I would say that out of the 100 or so uniforms in my collection the SSI placement varies between 1/2" and 1 3/4" from the shoulder, with most between 3/4" and 1 1/4" However, the numbers posted are where the patches are supposed to be placed and I would go w/ the regulations.

The 4" from the cuff is measured to the lowest point on the service stripe. (in most cases on 4 pocket blouses, this is directly above the stitching for the cuff)

Hey Guys, thanks for all of the info. It's definitely appreciated. What are the spec's for Collar Brass and DI's, how far in and down do they go?

Thanks again, Sean

Stinger Gunner USMC

here is a photo of where the collar brass are supposed to go.

The US and BoS are at the same angle as the inside neckline of the blouse and 1" in at a 45 angle from the tip of the lepel

for DI's you follow a striaght line down from the BOS , 1 inch below the start of the lower lepel

post-1672-1238020880.jpg

Captainofthe7th

The SSI should be about 1/2 inch from the seam. The chevrons will be "between the shoulder and elbow." O/S bars/hasmarks generally begin at the end of the vertical seam on the cuff. Your best bet is too look at some original uniforms and go from there.

http://www.26yd.com/Uniform_Regulations_26...sion_WWII4.html

Rob