Some cool 390th bombardment signs on Craigslist in AZ

WW2JAKE

I thought I'd share these for anyone who showed interest. I'd jump on them if they weren't $1500 more than I have to spend.

The Craigslist ad reads as follows...

"These metal insignia signs of The 390th Bombardment Group, are being offered as the main focal piece of any WWII collection! These WWII signs came from the 390th Bomber Group Museum at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, AZ. The 390th Bombardment Group included 4 squadrons of B-17 Flying Fortresses based in Suffolk, England during the war. The squadrons were the 568th, 569th, 570th & the 571st. They were part of the 8th Air force. They flew thousands of missions over Europe, bombing heavily fortified aircraft factories, bridges, trains, oil refineries and much more- right into Nazi Germany. While the efforts of the 390th certainly helped end the war, but the cost was heavy, with the loss of 714 airmen and almost all of the bombers were too damaged beyond repair or destroyed. What a stunning addition they would make to any VFW wall, veteran's group, airport lounge, or man cave. These hand crafted and hand painted signs are large, and fairly heavy. The paint is starting to flake, but I will leave any kind of preservation up to the purchaser. These types of signs hung from the back of the bar / lounge barracks at the Army Air Force base's. These are very rare signs in very nice condition with spectacular museum provenance. $1500 for all 5 signs, including the framed poster."

post-125364-0-47117700-1472365109.jpgpost-125364-0-10374000-1472365121.jpgpost-125364-0-95641700-1472365132.jpgpost-125364-0-18645900-1472365143.jpg

Neat looking signs. I wonder what the "spectacular museum provenance" entails besides the fact that they were sourced from the museum.

My concern would be that these were made up for the museum as a display item, and are not actually WW2 vintage signs. Even a 1980s painted-on-metal sign would show this type of degradation if it hadn't been stored well for several years. I would be surprised if the museum felt the need to liquidate them if they were 100% authentic WW2-era signs that were used at the air base in England during WW2.

It's more likely that these were made up by the museum when it opened in the 1980s, and due to a recent and major renovation, were no longer needed.

I wish I still had my 390th BG unit history.It was big and loaded with pics. You would have to go through the book and see if you can find these signs in use. If you can you would have an incredible find.$1500 seems like a big chance.

Neat looking signs. I wonder what the "spectacular museum provenance" entails besides the fact that they were sourced from the museum.

My concern would be that these were made up for the museum as a display item, and are not actually WW2 vintage signs. Even a 1980s painted-on-metal sign would show this type of degradation if it hadn't been stored well for several years. I would be surprised if the museum felt the need to liquidate them if they were 100% authentic WW2-era signs that were used at the air base in England during WW2.

It's more likely that these were made up by the museum when it opened in the 1980s, and due to a recent and major renovation, were no longer needed.

well I'm not saying that is not possible but being that the Pima Air museum is across frim Davis-Monthan AFB and the boneyard which was home to many planes right after ww2 that eventually got scrapped. It is a possibility that they are original and they managed to make their way to Pima air and space and were let go of recently

I could say more, but I'll simply maintain my stance that these are fairly modern creations made up for museum display.

post-11320-0-61516600-1472417536.jpg

post-11320-0-82455700-1472417541.jpg

I could say more, but I'll simply maintain my stance that these are fairly modern creations made up for museum display.

I'm not disagreeing with you just not saying it is certain one way or an other

If they WERE original, and this museum had even an ounce of appreciation for history, there is no possible way these would be displayed outside, exposed to the elements. My take, also is that these are modern recreations.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

If they WERE original, and this museum had even an ounce of appreciation for history, there is no possible way these would be displayed outside, exposed to the elements. My take, also is that these are modern recreations. Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

very true but not everyone thinks quite the same... Unfortunately...

very true but not everyone thinks quite the same... Unfortunately...

That's why they have people like us around.

He lowered his price when I talked to him due to the uncertainty but I still don't think $1,200 is in my budget either especially for possible reproductions

He lowered his price when I talked to him due to the uncertainty but I still don't think $1,200 is in my budget either especially for possible reproductions

Did you look at the pictures I posted above? THESE ARE THE SAME SIGNS. They were mounted onto the front entrance of the museum as late as 2012, when they were taken down. The pictures I provided are from 2012, shortly before the entrance was renovated. The museum now has a similar set of signs applied as decals to one of the walls of an interior display. Even at $1200, they are about $1000 overpriced and would be more accurately sold as decorative pieces and not authentic WW2 signs.

Here's some pics showing a comparison of the 570th Squadron sign (take into account there is a 4-year time difference between the pics):

Orange Rings= Mounting Holes

Yellow Rings= Peeling Paint

Blue Rings= Identical Design Elements/Proportions

post-11320-0-53936100-1472497033.jpg

post-11320-0-26373600-1472497043.jpg

Longbranch you are absolutely correct.No museum worth their salt would put original WW2 signs out in the open for the Arizona Sun;Sand, and pollution to work on them.Great detective work.Scotty

Agreed and I also agree that these are way over priced.

These are not WW2 signs.Nothing in the WW2 unit history showing these in use at the base in Framlingham.

I own two pilots groups and one enlisted group from 390th veterans.Have spoken to the people at the museum several years ago.Very helpful.

Here is the phone number,Calling them willl more than likely get you the rest of the story on the signs

520-574-0287

Yeah not original and no I didn't see the pictures actually cause my phone didn't load them in... I still think they are cool regardless but not $1500 cool, would make an interesting wall piece though just for fun

Yeah not original and no I didn't see the pictures actually cause my phone didn't load them in... I still think they are cool regardless but not $1500 cool, would make an interesting wall piece though just for fun

LOL. Leave it up to a smart phone to not include important information about something you are interested in!

Yup, definitely some neat signs for the man cave, but not anything of historical importance. You just seemed interested in the signs, and I was trying to clarify there were some major problems with them being interpreted as legit WW2 items with "spectacular museum provenance". Just didn't want to see you get burned.

LOL. Leave it up to a smart phone to not include important information about something you are interested in!

Yup, definitely some neat signs for the man cave, but not anything of historical importance. You just seemed interested in the signs, and I was trying to clarify there were some major problems with them being interpreted as legit WW2 items with "spectacular museum provenance". Just didn't want to see you get burned.

yeah the guy is really nice though, he did not mean to deceive and after seeing the pictures you added he agrees they aren't original, he was a bit disappointed as he paid $200 each for them but he has some interesting things. He also said he comes to alot of military iTema and he isn't very knowledgeable said he would let me know when he gets anything. Thanks for your help!

Something else not mentioned, is that original, period signs would not appear to be so "computer graphics generated" perfect. Had they been original, they would have been completed by whoever had the most experience at sign painting while still in the states. Even so, the most talented individual would have resulted in tell tale signs showing small mistakes, rough edges, paint lines crazing to the paint, rough handling, etcetera. They also would have most likely been painted on wood, not sheet metal.

Something else not mentioned, is that original, period signs would not appear to be so "computer graphics generated" perfect. Had they been original, they would have been completed by whoever had the most experience at sign painting while still in the states. Even so, the most talented individual would have resulted in tell tale signs showing small mistakes, rough edges, paint lines crazing to the paint, rough handling, etcetera. They also would have most likely been painted on wood, not sheet metal.

well these are in fact hand painted not done by a computer, wood instead of sheet metal isn't really a definite thing, but I see your point. Either way they are not original