12 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:35 PM

I almost missed this one today: a mint condition pair of 1969 ERDL (Engineer Research Development Laboratory) trousers. It was hanging on the thrift store rack amidst a bunch of modern woodland camo:

Posted Image

I was shocked to learn that a pair of these just sold on ebay for $227! These are the lime green dominant ERDL and I believe these pre-date the ripstop version (these are wind-resistant cotton poplin):

Posted Image

It just so happened that I had a couple of ERDL shirts ("jackets") stashed away (and forgotten) and I found them just a few days ago when sorting through piles of uniform items. Both jackets have the USMC and EGA stencils on the left breast pocket. This "Tropical Combat Jacket" is missing the tag with the DSA date, but the size tag shows a contract that seems to have been used in 1968, 69 and maybe into 1970. This also still had collar insignia when I acquired it:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

I have not taken photos of the other ERDL jacket: it's a size X-Large but has "tube sleeves" (no buttons) and it looks like someone deliberately cut into the cuffs so they would open wider the way a cuff with buttons would when unbuttoned. This shirt also has non-DSA label and I read a reference to ERDL shirt/jackets being made under "DPSC contracts" with labels that have no date, but I have no idea what a DPSC label looks like.

Here in the vicinity of Camp Pendleton, woodland camo shirts (and less so, trousers) are a dime a dozen at thrift stores, but these ERDL items do get stuck in with the pack once in a while and they can be easy to miss, which is, I suppose, a sign that they are good camouflage :)

#2 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:10 AM

About 30 years ago I bought an unissued set of ERDL "jungle utilities" at a local army store. I think I paid about $40 for the set. Both items were DSA 1969 dated, rip stop fabric, and size medium/regular. Years ago I ruined the trousers but still got the shirt. I wish I'd known then what I know now about those, I would have bought a ton of them.

#3 usmc-collector

usmc-collector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 31
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

set of ERDL utility uniform from my collection, both coat and pants are like in mint condition

erdl001.jpg

#4 BOB K. RKSS

BOB K. RKSS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 283
  • 595 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:14 AM

USMC Camo Jungle jacket: worn in Vietnam after 1968.

Attached Images

• Mvc_010s.jpg
  • Mvc_009s.jpg

#5 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:02 PM

Every month or two I find a Vietnam war era ERDL shirt/coat at one of the local thrift stores. This month's find turned out to be quite interesting. Not until I got it home did I notice that someone had trimmed off the bottom, re-hemmed it and installed a drawstring. The end result is a combat coat with a short tight waist. I figure someone either did this in country so they could tan their tummy while on patrol, or it was done by someone's girlfriend or spouse who decided they wanted a sexy combat coat.

Posted Image

Notice how they patched the sleeve:

Posted Image

#6 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:58 AM

Knowing how the Marine Corps feels about individual grunts making a fashion statement with their issued uniforms, I'd have to vote for the latter theory.

#7 Rattle

Rattle
  • Members
    • Member ID: 131
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:52 PM

Sweet looking stuff here http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif
This is my poplin EDRL camo jacket.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8473/image24107by7.jpg

Regards,
Stephan

#8 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:29 PM

I found two ERDL uniforms (pants and shirts) this week, one dated 1970 and the other 1975. Craig Pickrall, I believe, has mentioned post-Vietnam Marine Corps ERDL and this 1975 set looks like it could fit the bill: it does not have the slant pockets of the earlier ones and they don't have the lime green, but they don't have the "fatter" patterns of the later woodland camo. The 75's do have the white labels like the earlier ERDL did.

On the left is the 1970 set and on the right the 1975's:

erdl0523a.jpg erdl0524.jpg

#9 capa

capa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,646
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

Hey guys,
I just bought a pair of erdl pants and was wondering how you determine the year they were made. mine have stock number 8415-945-9231 .
Thanks for your help,
capa

#10 capa

capa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,646
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

I just looked at the tag on the pocket and it has DSA 100-69-2697 .
I paid $3 for them and they do have a repaired L shaped tear on the back of one leg. How did I do on the price?

#11 MPage

MPage
  • Members
    • Member ID: 257
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

I picked this up today. There were a few ERDL coats at the same location, including a short-sleeve USAF ERDL with Thai-made senior E-9 insignia which I unfortunately didn't grab. I had too much stuff as it was, but I grabbed this one. Were these made specifically for US troops?

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9526/dscn2921h.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5691/dscn2923l.jpg

#12 deros

deros
  • Members
    • Member ID: 313
  • 355 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:32 AM

I found two ERDL uniforms (pants and shirts) this week, one dated 1970 and the other 1975. Craig Pickrall, I believe, has mentioned post-Vietnam Marine Corps ERDL and this 1975 set looks like it could fit the bill: it does not have the slant pockets of the earlier ones and they don't have the lime green, but they don't have the "fatter" patterns of the later woodland camo. The 75's do have the white labels like the earlier ERDL did.

On the left is the 1970 set and on the right the 1975's:

erdl0523a.jpg erdl0524.jpg

Interesting that despite being of brown dominant colours, the two lower pockets of the jacket are fabricated from green dominant material

#13 hughiehound

hughiehound
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,735
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:07 AM

What exactly is the 1st pattern Vietnam era ERDL?

I've seen it referred to as "cut edge" pattern as opposed to "blurred", but I can't tell the difference.

I've also read where there were early patterns that I believe are not cut edge, one was supposedly produced around '64 and reversible to black, not sure how it's tagged. The other was tagged experimental clothing. The cut edge I believe was '67ish with normal tag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)