Long Walk Through War: A Combat Doctor's Diary

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

I just finished "Long Walk Through War: A Combat Doctor's Diary" by Klaus Huebner. He served as a battalion surgeon in the 88th Infantry Division in Italy during WW2. The author was a keen observer of the men of the 88th, the first all draftee outfit as it was described.

Long Walk.jpg

As a battalion surgeon Huebner would be the first physician that a sick or wounded soldier in the field would likely encounter. In combat he ran a battalion aid station which was often nothing more than a leaky barn or pig sty usually selected for its ability to withstand artillery shelling. Huebner did his best to quickly evaluate and stabilize patients in cold/muddy/snowy/filthy conditions before evacuating them to regimental medical facilities. He readily points out that, notwithstanding his title of "surgeon", he actually did very little surgery because of the need to get men quickly moved from the front and because of his very limited supplies and facilities. Most of the combat wounds he treats, and there were tons, were due to mines (where a lost foot was almost always the result) and artillery. He had a healthy respect for the German artillery. The Italian campaign is seen from the perspective of a medical soldier just behind the lines, and it is not a pretty picture. Although an officer Huebner often felt that he had no idea what was happening or why and this lack of information he found to be particularly grating. His humanity and feeling for the soldiers under this care, and the civilians caught between the armies, comes through.

I enjoyed the perspective that this memoir provides. It is another side of battle. I commend it to any with an interest in the Italian campaign from an infantry battalion point of view and to those looking for insight on combat medicine.

Regards,

Charlie