WW II Ka-Bar

nedkiley

Recently acquired a Ka-Bar claimed to be WWII vintage. It doesn't have the Camillus, NY marking but may have been made by Union Cutlery. Clearly marked on the blade is Ka-Bar and USMC. On the sheath is scratched "M II.I L". I'm thinking this means "Marine, 2nd Battalion, First Regiment, L Company". Any thoughts?

It's possible but I think it's unlikely. I've never seen USMC units denoted like that with roman numerals. Not saying it didn't happen, but I've never heard of it. It was usually presented as F/2/23 which would indicate F company, 2nd battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment. And to put M for Marine would seem a little strange as all the men around him would also be Marines. Just my thoughts.

And you may want to ask a moderator to move this to the edged weapons forum. There's a better chance of more people seeing it there.

Still-A-Marine

Is KA-BAR the only marking on one side of the blade? Or is there also a OLEAN NY below the KA-BAR? If it just has the KA-BAR it was made during WWII. If it has both markings it might be WWII. It could also be a reproduction. With pictures we can tell for sure.

Bill

The only marking is Ka-Bar on one side and USMC on the other. As for the markings on the sheath, it's tough to do curves with a knife point, so maybe he just did straight lines. They are definitely knife scratches; crude but deep. Thought I was on the edged weapons forum. I'm new at this site.