ITHACA 1911A1 - original "almost"

JosephC

Bought this Ithaca from a friend; owner prior to him deparkerized and blued the pistol - not sure why as the finish looks good underneath. Then the friend replaced the hammer set and the sights to be more of a modern shooter I guess. I got for good price and it includes the original hammer set and the rear sight. The barrel is flannery mfg which is correct for the serial number but it may have had the bluing removed as its pretty shiny. It appears that with the parts provided I have an original Ithaca. Purchase also came with WWII magazine, WWI two tone magazine, a blued 1911 magazine and a modern 8 round magazine.

The serial number puts it in the range of numbers within the 1944 range that were made in 1945 (?). Shipped Feb 1945 to Transportation Officer - Benicia Ordnance Depot - Army Point, Calif.

Thanks for checking out my new "shooter".

Joe

post-967-0-01960700-1472244101_thumb.jpg

post-967-0-13465200-1472244112_thumb.jpg

I'd own that. Nice looking pistol.

I have a slightly similar white elephant, a 1918 Colt model of 1911 that somebody made into a target gun. Changed the front sight to a target sight, adjustable rear. Fairly neat job. Can't change back to the GI front sight, slide was milled for the target sight. But I found the correct rear sight for a song, and installed it. Everything else seems correct. Frame and slide were touched up, very good job of bluing. Nobody else would spend the money on the poor thing. I jumped on it.

So how did the Ithaca do at the range?

I'd own that. Nice looking pistol.

I have a slightly similar white elephant, a 1918 Colt model of 1911 that somebody made into a target gun. Changed the front sight to a target sight, adjustable rear. Fairly neat job. Can't change back to the GI front sight, slide was milled for the target sight. But I found the correct rear sight for a song, and installed it. Everything else seems correct. Frame and slide were touched up, very good job of bluing. Nobody else would spend the money on the poor thing. I jumped on it.

So how did the Ithaca do at the range?

Only took a few quick shots with it when he was showing it to me. I hope to go this weekend for more shooting. Aiming was very natural and much easier to sight in compared to my remington rand that is all original. trigger pull smooth - I dont know what the as issued trigger pull is but the kit packaging states a 4.5 lb trigger pull.

nothing takes the place of an original--- finish and parts.

I have a full original remington rand with box that cost me more than twice what i paid for the ithaca; Ive posted on here. I have shot the rand but not as often as I liked due to its level of value (I believe in shooting my firearms but was looking for the opportunity to find a less valuable 1911 to shoot more often). I can bring the Ithaca back to original on parts but the finish will always make it less than original as you point out. I understand what you are saying.

Joe

Magazines that came with the Ithaca; two toned one not marked. One of the blued ones is marked on toe with a G

post-967-0-74797800-1472256148_thumb.jpg

post-967-0-10124200-1472256160_thumb.jpg

I'll be the contrary one to say it looks a long way from being "almost original." It's bern heavily buffed and polished, and has after-market dights and hammer at a minimum. A nice shooter for sure, but nothing collectible and "almost original."

I'll be the contrary one to say it looks a long way from being "almost original." It's bern heavily buffed and polished, and has after-market dights and hammer at a minimum. A nice shooter for sure, but nothing collectible and "almost original."

"almost original" was meant tongue in cheek.......It was blued not buffed. I also pointed out the aftermarket stuff and photographed the original parts that were removed and can be reinstalled. When i free up $1800-2500 I may get a "true" original Ithaca but for now this one is sending rounds down range.

Joe

Buffed, polished, same thing. Someone put the polishing wheel to it to remove the parkerized finish. Your first two photos clearly show rounded corners and soft lettering indicative of a heavy-handed polishing. Like I said though, a nice shooter. ;) Enjoy your gun.

...I believe that is why the word "almost" is in quotation marks. Joseph is not under any illusion that he has something that can be considered a collector piece in this Ithaca. He's quite well aware of the condition this pistol is in, as he is also the owner of a correct example made by Remington Rand.

• 6 months later...