Advice on cloth inserts for wood display cases

DDay29

I have some wood display cases that have foam but need cloth inserts. I wanted to get some opinions on the best material to use for this. Also, where do you recommend finding this? I know that felt inserts are common, but is this safe for medals and metal insignia over time? I also know that fabric stores would carry material like this, but am hesitant about the quality in terms of the affect of such material on items over time. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

If you want to spend the money go to an achival suppy bussiness.Im sure there is some types of batting material thats friendly and you can cover theatting with archival muslin or linen

Try using non buffered muslin cloth. Gaylord industries speicalizes in archival products. They are pricey but this is what a lot of the museums use, we use buffered muslin and acid free products on most of our museum artifacts..

Leigh

Felt is also ok to use, especially if you are displaying these inserts. But if you are storing and want to be super careful you can use unbleached muslin, which you can usually get at any fabric store.

I presume you have 12" x 18" cases with glass lids, or similar. I've found the most appealing background to use is Velveteen. It comes in multiple colors and sizes, or you can cut to fit as needed. It can be used in wooden display cases, riker mounts, and other applications. Google "Ruddles Mills", and check out their website, under "accessories". This is exclusively what I use. You'll like it!

I think any untreated 100% cotton cloth will work. It does a great job covering those foam inserts. Any fabric store will have a wide selection of colors and fabric finishes. I like a brushed cotton. Plus it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Excellent ideas, all.

Thing about cloth and archival/neutral pH issues is mostly that it can take a REALLY long time (as in more than a decade or so) for there to be noticeable damage due to not using those materials.

Safe side is, as always, to use the least acidic or out-gassing material possible.

I store my chevron collection in Riker mounts with the new cotton foam fillers. I just cut a piece of solid color cotton to cover the foam.

I have some older Rikers that had the cotton-like batting that shed cotton fibers on the backs of anything I stuck in there. The newer mounts have a better filler that won't shed.

I would recommend removing any kind of manufactured foam (rubber of whatever) and replacing it with good quilt batting made from natural fibers (cotton or bamboo). Quilt batting can be purchased almost anywhere. Manufactured foam is made with oils and will breakdown and gasify over time.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and recommendations. I went out and got some 100% cotton, unbleached muslin to cover the foam in my cases. I am concerned about the quality of the foam that came with the cases, so I will look into replacing it with batting. Thanks again.