My new addiction- Green Berets

37thguy

Another new Green Beret for me. Picked it up last night at a collectors show. It was arranged for pick up having seen it 2 weeks ago at a prior show. Didnt buy it then, but then I started thinking about it and decided to take a chance on it. I bought the beret, not "the story" or rather "paid" for the beret not "the story". Here though is the story......

At the SOS this past February, a woman walked in with this beret and was offering it for sale as her Uncles beret. She even had a few pages downloaded off of the internet to show provenance. She claimed that it was her Uncles, 1st Lt. Paul D Potter, the only Officer to be KIA during that terrible raid 23 August, 1968 at FOB #4, where 17 SF soldiers were KIA.
While I am a trusting soul, one always wonders if the story is indeed true? I'm into it for what this beret would cost "as is" so I won't be out anything if I cannot prove this story. From the seller I found out that he believed that both Bob Chatt & Jason Hardy both looked this over. I believe at the time she was just asking more than they wanted to pay. Perhaps again the price was to too high based on trying to prove the story. By the time the Niece left the show it sounds as if she was a bit disgruntled and ended up selling it to the guy I bought it from and a considerable reduction. The buyer did not get any info from the Niece other than the paperwork/research she had downloaded. He did say that she mentioned driving 45 minutes to get to the show, that she was probably in her early to mid 50s, and seemed genuine. These are the only things I have to start my research on finding her. If I can prove indeed that this was Lieutenant Potters Beret, it would be a great addition to my collection and I would be honored to be its current caretaker.
I will start by looking up the US Census records to find out Potters siblings. Obviously if he had a niece he had a sibling. The strikes are against me though as there are three choices for names as I see it:
1- She still carries the name Potter. ( I may have a chance)
2- She has her mothers married name (Slim chance)
3- She's married and has a different name (Almost no
chance)
If anyone happens to know, has stayed in touch with Potters family I would love to hear from you. Also anyone who could help me in the research and finding of the Niece that too would be of great help. This beret and Lt Potters memory deserve to live on and what a great way to honor him by having and revering his beret.
Also I have a question regarding the Lt bar. It appears to be to be a "sta-brite" style insignia? Can anyone tell me when these started showing up? The Lt bar is missing the clutches but there were some on there as they left the circular marks. The beret itself is dated '67 so that jibes as well since he was KIA in '68.
Until then, I will "attribute" this to him. If nothing more ever gets discovered so be it, I will still be happy to have it.
Here ae a few pics:

post-729-0-71114300-1555190744_thumb.jpg

post-729-0-30451400-1555190752_thumb.jpg

vintageproductions

Here is the reply I put on the Facebook USMF page:

Yes, she showed it to Jason Hardy and myself. We told her it was nice, but with her having no proof and the story changing a little bit each time it was sold, we passed on it. She came back three times and the price dropped each time. Like we told her, it's a great beret but to us there is no proof it was him. We heard it was an uncle's, then a friend of the family, but nothing that we could pin down.

Thanks Bob

I read that. Can you PM me with the story she gave you as you remember it? I have several family contacts and would like to have as much info as I can going into contacting them.

Thanks

~Mark

This is one of the threads that I like coming back to and look for any updates. Top notch stuff.

Thank you for sharing.

Best

Martin

Thanks Martin,

Its always fun to add a new one and continue advancing the collection.

I've picked up 3 in the past week with two more being offered!

Always on the hunt.

~Regards

Great collection and excellent focus Mark! Boy, that group of Greens sure grew fast!

Thanks Brian. Yeh, the must be made with rabbit wool?! LOL!

• 2 months later...

Heres my newest. Did some trading to get this one. Something about it just seems right. French made 7th. A bit lighter weight than either the issue or Canadian ones. Love the label inside. Has an old feel to it.

Happy to have added it to my sitl growing collection of green berets.

Thanks for looking in.

~Mark

post-729-0-70022700-1562784162_thumb.jpg

Hey Ian, thats an amazing SF beret collection! Not to hijack your thread, but as a point of interest, because many SF members wore Canadian-made berets, I thought Id post my issue beret from the early 80s.

In the Canadian Forces the green beret has been an issue piece of kit for all branches of the service for dozens of years, dating back to the 60s.

This was my last issue beret, dated 1982 (having lost my original, 1979 dated, nicely-formed and worn-in beret in a river crossing that went a bit sideways) and the badge on it is for the Military Police branch. We often tore out the lining to get a better fit and make them cooler in hot weather, but I left this one original as I knew I would be leaving the forces shortly and wanted to keep it in issue condition.

Its funny because when we were in Fort Lewis, WA in 1980 on a joint Canadian-US exercise, we would be walking around the base and got the strangest looks and stares from US soldiers because we were all wearing green berets, and this was long before the US adopted berets for uniform wear, with the exception of SF guys.

I guess they were amazed that a bunch of 18 - 22 year old Canadians were wearing the revered and coveted green beret!

Rick

post-9167-0-93448100-1562786095.jpeg

post-9167-0-90521300-1562786107.jpeg

post-9167-0-53674400-1562786114.jpeg

• 1 month later...