My new addiction- Green Berets

37thguy

A small and humble collection, but growing slowly. I've been fascinated by the Green Berets ever since I was a little guy growing up in the 60s. The 37th Division collection has really slowed down so I'm starting my 2d collecting love, Special Forces & Green Beret items.

I have a few uniforms I'll post maybe next week. For now just my berets.

post-729-0-43517100-1472162291_thumb.jpg

Those berets are awesome. I've been acquiring a veterans items (I have two posts in camouflage uniforms) but he changed his mind and decided to keep his beret. I'm glad it is staying with him but to say I was disappointed is an understatement.

Thanks Nick. real ones are indeed tough to find and also not inexpensive. Fake ones are all over. Some go for over $1k. Havent one of those....yet. Someday perhaps.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, yes Im happy to have it. Way nicer ones out that this one, but Im glad I have it. A few really super ones in the FS section right now, but I'm already WAY over my budget now with some uniforms to go with these.

I was in 1st group in 68 and we all had the parachute lining.

Thanks for the memory!

john

Thanks for the info and your service John.

Still have yours?

Who can tell me about the begining of wearing the Green Beret before it was authorized? Or in lieu of that, a good web site where I can go read. Its my understanding that some earliest flashes were actually made from naugahyde. Rumor has it some early 10th group flashes were cut from a green pool table cover.

Thanks

I know a local vet.He was in early.He was there when Kennedy authorized the Beret.

Seen 7th Grp,19th and Traing Group all in naugahyde/vinyl

read some place the all White Training Group flash at one time was cut from plastic white clorox bottles.Never confirmed it through a veteran though

I will try to speak with him sometime.He pretty sharp and still full of pizz and vinagar.Hes 85? now.Saw him two weeks ago and had a Black Velvet and water with him.Not a water in my wiskey fan but he was pouring and it was free...lol

He was in and out of VN from 1961 to 1971 11 times as he stated.His last time was with the Americal.He said his some was then in the Air Force in Thailand as a medic at an air base.

Who'd he serve with? Ask if he was ever in the 46th SF, Thailand

Hes never mentioned Thailand as far as his service.He was in the 11th Airborne at one time.

I know he was in germany at some point as the son I spoke with talked about finding all kinds of stuff there.

May have been the 10th?

Possible...will try to ask.

I have a old picture(some place) from 10 years ago of him holding a hatchet made by Western.Its engraved to him.He said it was given to him in the hospital when he was recovering from a wound.If I recall right it said while with Hatchet Team/ Force/Company 22 ? He also has a 5th Group Chrome presentation Stiletto.Has a SOG square tip machete on his work bench with out scabbard and a couple card board barrels of "stuff" in the garage. I never have pushed him to see whats there.Said he has more back at a place out east too....if his daughter hasnt sold it

You should, both to learn about what he had as a soldier AND to be sure its being kept in good condition. You dont want him to open the box and have well fed moths fly out, ....if you know what I mean?!

If so, ask if you take take a few pics.