Remington Model 11

notinfringed

notinfringed

The stock has been "graffitied". I assumed by some moron redneck determined to destroy a nice WWII artifact. I began to doubt that assumption when I saw the flag under "Strange Brew". Then I was able to make out one word on the other side of the stock . . . "Saigon". It would appear to be some type of map. it is hard to make out what all is written. I have no idea when or where this was done. Possibly just a Vietnam vet's gun with graffiti added much later, but still cool none the less. I am still looking for a good WWII era stock with ordnance stamp if anyone happens to see one. I just won't throw the old one away if I ever find one.

post-2011-0-14167000-1472098687_thumb.jpg

"Strange Brew" is a song by Cream...it was released in 1967...so it fits a Vietnam theme...and a very popular song.

notinfringed

Here is a shot of the right side. Does anyone have any evidence of the mod 11 being used in Vietnam?

post-2011-0-06681100-1472099020.jpg

notinfringed

"Strange Brew" is a song by Cream...it was released in 1967...so it fits a Vietnam theme...and a very popular song.

Good point. All I could think of was Doug and Bob McKenzie. I guess that comes from being a child of the 80s

Military model gun...military motif on stock...popular song of the age...it all fits...I would not sweat the personalized stock...you can envision a bored soldier on guard duty in Saigon ...with Strange Brew playing in the background...he records his experience on the stock, now just as any piece of personalized helmet...canteen or gear

To the gun collector purists...at this bored stage...he has messed up a stock.

I would leave it as found...

thetrenchman1918

Honestly like others have said I would leave that one alone, if you really can't live with it I'm sure plenty of people, myself included, would rather give you the money to put towards picking up an more ww2 correct one.

Just my 0.02 cents

TheGrayGhost

The graffiti gives it history and context, and is researchable. It's rare to know where a weapon has actually been. I would take that over a Plain Jane stock any day.

notinfringed

Just to put everyone's minds at ease, I have no intentions of getting rid of this stock. It will always be with this gun. That being said, I still intend to keep my eyes open for a good clean WWII stock that I can put on the shotgun if I am doing a WWII display. I will probably never find one anyway, but it would be nice to have. I am still curious if anyone has seen any pictures of the model 11 in Vietnam. Next week I would like to try to figure out what all is written on the stock. I was thinking of using something like chalk dust that would temporarily fill in the writing. Has anyone tried anything like this? Maybe a black light, or some special setting on a camera? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I had one of these in my collection....bought it in stone mint condition, a beauty of an example, and the numbers on the barrel and receiver didn't match. D'oh.

At that point I didn't care really, 'cause it looked unissued, totally new. I can only assume that the barrel and receiver are 'supposed' to match, but maybe not...maybe someone will chime in with info. It's not hard to take the forend off and remove the barrel to see the number, it is stamped on a flat surface on the underside.

johnsonlmg41

I've had a few and none with matching barrels. Supposedly they exist, but I've never been able to verify it and for the price of over 1500 that was a must. The gun you have, I guess condition and price would have to be in alignment. The markings would not bother me at a lower price point and add some character to the gun as others have said. Odds of finding a butt on the loose with FJA markings are not good. The stocks are not very easy to remove either....been down that road. Just about everything showed up in Vietnam at some point or another, however as to whether it made the trip, the otherwise good condition makes it unlikely.

Just to put everyone's minds at ease, I have no intentions of getting rid of this stock. It will always be with this gun. That being said, I still intend to keep my eyes open for a good clean WWII stock that I can put on the shotgun if I am doing a WWII display. I will probably never find one anyway, but it would be nice to have. I am still curious if anyone has seen any pictures of the model 11 in Vietnam. Next week I would like to try to figure out what all is written on the stock. I was thinking of using something like chalk dust that would temporarily fill in the writing. Has anyone tried anything like this? Maybe a black light, or some special setting on a camera? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

You can try black light, and/or you could also put a photo of the stock in Photoshop, and turn up the contrast.

I am almost finished building up a WWII Model 11. I bought a military receiver 9 years ago, and accumulated parts for it over the years. I was able to find an original military buttstock for it with correct FJA marking.

You have a great find here. I looked through Bruce Canfield's U.S. Combat Shotguns book, and while I didn't see a Model 11 shown or mentioned in the Vietnam section, there were so many different shotguns from WWII that were used in Vietnam, that I assume Model 11's also saw service there.

David Albert

[email protected]