Sailor who served with Perry in 1853-54

jagjetta

Real photo postcard of W.H. Hardy who enlisted on August 18, 1852, "and served with Admiral Perry in Japan in 1853 and 1854." Inscription appears to have been written by Hardy.

post-949-0-36574500-1471962219.jpg post-949-0-00608700-1471962226.jpg

post-949-0-65365600-1471962234.jpg

That is awesome John. Just super. Can you tell what the ribbon is and/or what is depicted on the (what looks to be) scrimshaw piece?

That is awesome John. Just super. Can you tell what the ribbon is and/or what is depicted on the (what looks to be) scrimshaw piece?

Closeups...good as I could get!

John

post-949-0-44752300-1471972531.jpg post-949-0-72753000-1471972541_thumb.jpg

Can't really make out his tally. I wonder if it is for the Mississippi, Plymouth, Saratoga, or Susquehanna--four ships of Perry's expedition from that arrived on July 14, 1853 at Uraga Harbor in Japan?

post-949-0-85791800-1471973111_thumb.jpg

Some more info on Hardy, who claimed to be the last surviving member of Perry's Expedition to Japan:

From an article in the New York Times, August 5, 1918

"FINDS ALL JAPAN FRIENDLY.; W.H. Hardy, Who Was There With Perry, Tells of Revisiting the Empire

WASHINGTON, Aug. 4.--Secretary Daniels has received a letter from W. H. Hardy of Portland, Ore., recalling that he was with the Perry Expedition in 1853 and giving an account of his recent visit to Japan.

'I have just returned from Japan after a six months' trip to that country.' he wrote, 'Being a member of the Perry Expedition of 1853, I revisited the country after an absence of of more than sixty-four years, my object being to bring about a true and everlasting friendship between the United States and Japan. I believe my mission has been a great success, for I was received and honored wherever I went.'

'I am proud to report to you, as the Secretary of the Navy, and to tell you that I have observed the good morals of the young men enlisted in the Navy, whose excellent conduct has brought honor to the uniform of an American sailor.'

'During my travels through Japan I had the honor to carry the uniform into all classes of society, from the homes of nobles, to the homes of the humble, and everywhere found nothing but love and good will for our beloved country and our people.'

'I traveled 17,500 miles and spoke to over half a million people in public places in Japan. Besides speaking to over a hundred thousand school children in schools and colleges, I spoke at the Naval Academy at Atazamato to 1,600 cadets and received great honor from the Vice Admiral in charge. All gave the pledge of true and everlasting friendship. But what filled my heart with pride more than anything else was to see the picture of our noble President and Commodore M.C. Perry hanging in the homes of most all of the prominent statesmen and Governors throughout the Empire. During all my travels through Japan I never heard one word of criticism about the United States, but all classes of people admitted they owed their progress to the kindly feeling of the United States Government and People."

RustyCanteen

Can't really make out his tally. I wonder if it is for the Mississippi, Plymouth, Saratoga, or Susquehanna--four ships of Perry's expedition from that arrived on July 14, 1853 at Uraga Harbor in Japan?

attachicon.gifUSN-WH-Hardy-sailed-with-Pe.jpg

Excellent image JAG! It certainly appears to start with 'MI' in that close-up.

RC

Excellent image JAG! It certainly appears to start with 'MI' in that close-up.

RC

Boy, that is what I though, RC! "USS MI..." as in Michigan or Minnesota.

I think Hardy served on the Susquehana. After he left the Navy, he served in the Merchant Marines and piloted his own ship. When he went back to Japan in 1918, he was calling himself "Captain Hardy," a rank he said was from his Merchant Marine days.