Strange MRE in box

capa

Hello All,

I just got this at an estate sale of an Army officer. I am pretty familiar with the permutations of the US military meals, but this one is a mystery. In flight meal perhaps? It measures 8" long, 4 3/4" wide; and 3" high. The box is taped shut with an OD paper based tape.

Any help on identifying it would be appreciated it.

p.s. most of the items at the sale dated from the mid-1950s to 1960s.

post-1646-0-77323100-1471873071.jpg

At least one person over that the MREInfo site thinks it is a prototype MRE. His suggestion was to open it and see what's inside, but I am hesitant to do that.

There is/was one of those in the MA Army National Guard Museum and Archives in Worcester, The contents were all labeled "experimental" and there were odd items like potato salad (ick!) alongside some familiar things like jelly and crackers.

There is/was one of those in the MA Army National Guard Museum and Archives in Worcester, The contents were all labeled "experimental" and there were odd items like potato salad (ick!) alongside some familiar things like jelly and crackers.

Thanks for the lead! I have contacted them.

After much reflection, I decided to carefully opened it up. Mystery partially solved. It appears that this is a very early prototype MRE meal. Perhaps the Granddaddy of all MREs. Anything in the green boxes was marked Experimental. If anyone is interested I can add more photos. Very interesting foil lined box.

I'll be doing more research and please feel free to comment.

Cheers

post-1646-0-53151400-1472061719_thumb.jpg

Capa,

This is a great find. Would have to agree one of the earliest MRE's. I would also suggest that you get in touch with the Natick Research Laboratory in Natick, Massachusetts. They are responsible for conducting the research and fielding of food products and they may also be able to assist.

On a side note, one of our Boy Scout Leaders used to work at the Natick Labs and he would bring the Boy Scouts experimental meals for us to try. Some of these were the LRRP meals and I remember getting a Chicken and rice meal. It was very salty and I remember attempting to feed a duck some of the rice and chicken and the duck took a few nibbles and then ran right for the pond..

Biggest thing I remember about the LRRP meals was the large amount of water we had to add to reconstitute from freeze dried to edible mush.. But seeing the duck high tail it to the pond was hilarious..

Leigh

Capa,

This is a great find. Would have to agree one of the earliest MRE's. I would also suggest that you get in touch with the Natick Research Laboratory in Natick, Massachusetts. They are responsible for conducting the research and fielding of food products and they may also be able to assist.

On a side note, one of our Boy Scout Leaders used to work at the Natick Labs and he would bring the Boy Scouts experimental meals for us to try. Some of these were the LRRP meals and I remember getting a Chicken and rice meal. It was very salty and I remember attempting to feed a duck some of the rice and chicken and the duck took a few nibbles and then ran right for the pond..

Biggest thing I remember about the LRRP meals was the large amount of water we had to add to reconstitute from freeze dried to edible mush.. But seeing the duck high tail it to the pond was hilarious..

Leigh

Thank you Leigh, I have contacted them, good lead. Hilarious story, too!

Here's a quick scan of the sheet of instructions that came with it. I can't imagine that dehydrated potato salad was delicious.

post-1646-0-65485300-1472068498_thumb.jpg

I agree. The dang potato "patty" was bad enough. Can't imagine what dehydrated potato salad tasted like. The duck story is hilarious. Isn't it amazing what we've eaten over the years. The dang animals turned their nose up at it! I assume each meal probably had directions?

I sent the photo to the folks at NATICK and got a very quick reply that it dates from 1965-1970, indeed making it one of the prototypes. I suspect the veteran of the 82nd got it as part of field testing (they have been used in other ration tests). I think he figured that someday it would be interesting to someone. He was absolutely correct.