M1 Carbine

notinfringed

notinfringed

I picked this up a few weeks back. I just got around to taking it out to the range, and she operated flawlessly. I snapped a few shots while I had it out. Can anyone tell me if anything is wrong as far as a WWII example? I had to order a few parts from Numrich (butt plate, stock screw, etc) but I think she is mostly original. I am wondering about the sight though.

post-2011-0-90332000-1471847435_thumb.jpg

post-2011-0-45449000-1471847455.jpg

The barrel band/bayonet lug are post war refurbishments as are the rear sight and rotary safety. Inland used the rotary safety very late but your serial number is too early for It to be original parts. I have read that Inland also began using the bayonet lug very late but too late to make it overseas before the war ended but it is too late to match your serial number. Nice looking carbine. These are fun to shoot and nice bit of history.

All the post-war modifications (as noted above) are present on your WW2 manufactured carbine. Most of these saw use in Korea and had the safety, rear sight, and barrel band changed from their WW2 configuration.

phantomfixer

front sight guard was cut off....??? Bet they tried to remove the bayonet lug???

The carbine is a great shooter...lightweight and easy on the shoulder...accurate...very pleasant to spend an afternoon with.....enjoy the new carbine.....

JULY 42 barrel date.Nice cartouched stock .Any stamps or marks in the sling slot?Has low wood the 42 eras had high wood.Looks like flat bolt.

Someone cut the "ears" off the front sight.(not an arsenal thing)

Later safety.Just upgrades during its life.Great little rifle.Have fun with her!

Just noticed that someone also cut the rear peep sight to make it notched. By the way...what maker is stamped under the rear sight base above the serial number and how many numbers?

Nice early Inland [5 digit ser.#]. Keep it as it is! It represents a Korean era arsenal or field upgrade. The modified front and rear sights are not that unique, I have seen several examples in the past year or so. If it were my carbine I would take the action out of the wood and rub the wood down with mineral spirits then with "Howards Feed and Wax" or something similar. I like to do a Data Sheet on each of my carbines so I would dis-assemble as much of the action as I felt comfortable doing, [note the part codes, proofs etc, on a data sheet] clean the parts with a stiff bristle tooth brush and mineral spirits, lube and re-assemble, shoot and enjoy. Nice aquisition.

Chuck

This is not meant as a negative.

The rifle will never really be in "original" configuration.

You will spend more money trying to put it back to WWII configuration than it is worth.

I would keep it as is and shoot it and have fun with it.

As lambo35 said, Keep it as it is! It represents a Korean era arsenal or field upgrade.

If you want an all original Carbine you will likely have to pay $2K (approximate) for it.

And if you get an all original Carbine, you should probably NOT shoot it.

Just my two cents.

BTW, nice rifle!

Dirt Detective

Great Korean war rebuild....I love these rifles. When they installed the improved rear sight they staked it in place so the flat area of the dove tail has some extra punch marks..so if this one was rebuilt as original..it would always have those tell tale punch marks....just something to look at when looking for original carbines.

post-2677-0-73896400-1471919058.jpg

notinfringed

Good to know guys. Thanks for all the help. Believe me when I say that I would only return it to original condition if it was relatively easy to do. From what you are all saying I see that it is not. That suits me just fine. I love her just the way she is.

TLeo- I'm not sure what maker is under the rear sights, I haven't take them off yet. I can make out an "IN. . ." so I assume it in Inland as well. The serial number is 14xxx.

Doyler- there is some type of stamp in the sling slot. looks like a square stamp with maybe a "1" in it and then a "0". I can try to get a picture of it if you would like?

Thanks again all.

Good to know guys. Thanks for all the help. Believe me when I say that I would only return it to original condition if it was relatively easy to do. From what you are all saying I see that it is not. That suits me just fine. I love her just the way she is.

TLeo- I'm not sure what maker is under the rear sights, I haven't take them off yet. I can make out an "IN. . ." so I assume it in Inland as well. The serial number is 14xxx.

Doyler- there is some type of stamp in the sling slot. looks like a square stamp with maybe a "1" in it and then a "0". I can try to get a picture of it if you would like?

Thanks again all.

OI was found on Inland stocks...could be that marking

Dirt Detective

Thanks again all.

Post a pic..maybe we can figure it out.

No need to remove the rear sight to see if its Inland. Only maker starting with IN is Inland. Get a flashlight; you'll probably be able to make out "INL" on one side of the sight and "DIV." on the other: INLAND DIV. Inland was part of General Motors.

Common to have INLAND DIV. and/or the s/n obscured by the late-version rear sight. Many (including my own) had the s/n re-stamped in front of the rear sight) when the new sight was added during rebuild for Korea, although my s/n is barely obscured. I'd wager it's harder to read the duplicate s/n than it is to read the original.

Shame about the sights. Personally I'd replace them, and then call it a day and enjoy the thing.

notinfringed

Chris B- definitely an Inland. I can make out IN on one side and ND on the other. Thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...