Higgins PT Boat Tie clip Pin Badge?

nbolinger

ive had two of these this year and cant figure out weather they ever issued a badge with a straight pin on the back of were they all tie clips, im not talking about all of them just this large type with Higgins on it?

post-9905-0-78526300-1471818137.jpg

Have seen the clip or pin on various badges.

One theory is th epin type were for enlisted and the clip type for Chiefs and officers as they wore a tie.I never have confined this with a vet though.

Across the board with these it almost seems like the tie clips are more commonly seen, not just of higgins but of all PT boat badges !

Across the board with these it almost seems like the tie clips are more commonly seen, not just of higgins but of all PT boat badges !

Agreed. Probably more for an employee than used on a military uniform. Navy Chiefs were/are sticklers for uniform erg's.I can't imagine one wearing it as part of his uniform, but I have been wrong before.

These were not issue or uniform items and not authorized to wear as a qualification badge. Some of these were given to crews as the squadrons were commissioned (but not all got them) or were private purchase. This goes for the ELCO boats, also. As a tie clip, it was OK to wear, particularly since most of the time they wore a jacket as part of the uniform (Khaki, Blues, CPO whites).

Here is my Elco.

I have a book that came out late in WWII describing what it would be like going through PT school.

On the last page of the book it shows a group of students in class taking notes...most all of them are wearing PT clips on their ties.

Clearly not an item of issue, but a great piece.

John

post-12439-0-02955800-1471963841.jpg

post-12439-0-95280000-1471963848.jpg

Box.

PS- Great thread and information...but shouldn't it be in a more appropriate section where more people could appreciate it?

post-12439-0-35472700-1471963906.jpg

post-12439-0-83143800-1471963913.jpg

post-12439-0-03295800-1471963923.jpg

I've never seen anyone in uniform wearing these pins--and I'm not sure they were actually authorized by the USN. However, there are about 10 different variations (including different patterns for the different boat manufacturers -- Higgins, ELCO, Vosper, Harbor Boat, etc..) out there. Frankly, the number of PT boat pins probably vastly outnumbers the sailors who were stationed on those ships.

Also, many of the PT boats were sent to the UK and Russia as part of the Lend/Lease program. I think only a few of the Higgen's boats were used in the MTBRONs and the Vospers were contracted to be made for the UK in the States.

I had heard that these pins and tie clasps were primarily given out to the boat workers, family members and dignitaries rather than actually procured as part of USN uniform and insignia issues.

Still, they are a great collectible item. Here are some of mine and related items.

post-1519-0-38813400-1472004431_thumb.jpg

I cropped the photo a bit, but here is the pic I was eluding to in my previous post.

PT students at Melville can clearly be seen to be wearing PT Boat tie clips.

post-12439-0-82446500-1472007147_thumb.jpg

I cropped the photo a bit, but here is the pic I was eluding to in my previous post.

PT students at Melville can clearly be seen to be wearing PT Boat tie clips.

Nicely done John! There's nothing like photographic evidence in this line of collecting!

Box.

PS- Great thread and information...but shouldn't it be in a more appropriate section where more people could appreciate it?

This thread moved to the "Badges & Awards" section for additional comments and exposure...