Marines in Nicaragua - 1/35 scale figures shadowbox vignette

Old Marine

I finally finished my latest project. This is a 1/35 scale shadow box depicting US Marines displaying a captured Sandinista flag in Nicaragua during the Second Nicaraguan Campaign 1928 - 1932.

The box measures 7.5 x 5.5 x 3.5 inches. The figures are a complete mish-mash of parts from Airfix, DLM, Testors, Tamiya, ICM and some other resin kits. The Campaign hats, the officer's boots and leggings and some of the weapons are from the new ICM US WWI figure set.

The base of the model is a small piece of Bass Wood and the wall is a piece of Foam Board. The doors, door frame and the boxes are all scratch built from bass wood and some sheet plastic. The Shutters are an add on resin piece.

The side panels of the shadow box are hand painted. The recruiting poster, HQ Sign, flag, box labels and the office interior print are all created on the computer and printed. The chickens are from Tamiya.

Here are a bunch more photos and some original photos that I used for reference and ideas.

As always I look forward to your comments and observations.

Thanks

Dennis

post-2843-0-22538800-1471722965_thumb.jpg

These are some photos of the model out of the box. I constructed it so that the back comes off and the whole model just slides out.

post-2843-0-52650200-1471724282_thumb.jpg

Detail shot of the Officer holding the flag with the chickens in the background. Notice the revolver and the knuckle knife, both of these came with that new ICM WWI US figure set. There is really good detail gear and weapons in that set.

post-2843-0-26253300-1471724485_thumb.jpg

A second Nicaraguan Campaign medal and a Nicaraguan National Guard Cap insignia. You can see this silver triangular badge in some of the following photos.

post-2843-0-36361100-1471724789_thumb.jpg

thebuzzardsloft

I am certainly impressed with your craftsmanship and attention to detail. All period correct, and I really like the vine growing up the building and scalloped area above the doors.

How long did you work on this project?

Buzzard, I don't keep track of time on these projects. I work on them off and on as time allows, I guess this was in the works for a period of about 5 months. Thanks for your comments.

FABULOUSO!, Dennis. You are a MASTER! This one belongs in the Marine Corps Museum. Best Regards and Semper Fi......Bob

Dennis,

This is a magnificent diorama. You have really done proud 'The Old Breed'. Great attention to detail, the figures look fantastic and I like the inspirational picture.

Semper Fi.

Manny

A fantastic dio! Well researched with a rather unusual "theme" and fine details. Your stunning craftsmanship and the display round off the project. Modeling at its best!

Dennis outstanding diorama You certainally caught the era and the correct uniforms. How did you make the covers for the Marines i

that time period Great job

Tom

Tom,

I didn't make the campaign covers, they came from the new US First World War Figure set produced by ICM. ICM is company from Ukraine and they are producing for really interesting, good quality 1/35 scale figure sets.

The US figures come with a lot of weapons and accessories that can be used in WWII models. The kit includes WWI helmets and Campaign hats as well as Chauchat MGs and accessories, early BARs and belts, cavalry type .45 holsters, .45 revolvers & holsters, knuckle trench knives, trench periscopes, hatchets, picks, shovels, 03 springfields, 1905 bayonets, shotguns, etc.... it's a very well done figure set with a LOT of stuff.

I wanted to make this diorama for a while and in the past I tried scratch building the Campaign hats with out much luck. Once I saw this kit I ordered 2 right away just to get the hats and accessories to make this diorama.

Thanks for the nice comments.

post-2843-0-87226000-1471814046.jpg