Cavite Marines

Eric Queen

This was recently offered by the estate dealer who was liquidating a large group of Marine photos on ebay. There were (and still are) a lot of nice pieces there (of which I am sure some of our members ended up with a number of them) but I think this was somewhat of a sleeper piece. In my experience original items with the Cavite Marines insignia (red shield) are quite rare.

In addition, there were a number of original (actual photos glued in) group photos inside

I bought it for $19.99 and I was the only bidder.

c1.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Philippines Maddox, The Cavite Naval Base and Naval Shipyard (Sangley Naval Base) were in Manila Bay. It was evacuated after the December 8th attack which pretty much destroyed the docks and sank several ships and subs.

Yes Eric a number of us were chasing some superb images from that collection. But there was so much that was ignored that there were bargins to be had.....at $19.99 that was a steal. By the 30's the Cavite and Olongapo Mar Dets were very small....making their stuff from those years much harder to find. And having interviewed one of them before he passed, he noted they were far wilder than the China Marines.

@ Sgt Maddoxx before WWI I think they maintained an entire regiment at Cavite and one at Olongapo as these were our main bases in the Far East.

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful photos--thanks for sharing. I wonder if the building in the background is the 16th Century Spanish Fort Porta Vaga, the US Naval Prison at Cavite? Best wishes, Jim