Devices worn by USMC in Haiti

SgtMaddoxUSMC

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I don't think that last one belonged to the Gd'H. This button says Republique d'Haiti so could have been used on any official uniform after.

I don't think that last one belonged to the Gd'H. This button says Republique d'Haiti so could have been used on any official uniform after.

The shooting badges and buttons all came from the same dealer. I also got some Nicaraguan buttons.

• 2 weeks later...

Haiti Medaille Militaire Medal awarded to Brigadier General Richard S. Hooker, USMC, Commander of the Gendarmerie de Haiti. The reverse of the medal is hallmarks by Bailey, Banks, and Biddle of Philadelphia.

Colonel Richard S. Hooker commanded the 4th Marine regiment in China during 1930-32, so I suspect he was awarded by Haiti during the 1930s?

post-8847-0-32676300-1551156826.jpeg

post-8847-0-69922900-1551156839.jpeg

Interesting official photo from July 1936 titled HIGH RANKING MARINES RECEIVE FOREIGN MEDALS.

From left to right is Brigadier General David D. Porter, Adjutant Inspector of the Marine Corps, presenting the Medal of Honor and Merit from Haiti to Major General L. McCarthy Little, Commadant of the Marine Corps. Others are left to right, Brigadier General Hugh Matthews, Quatermaster of the Marine Corps, who received the Nicaraguan Medal of Distinction and Lieutenant Colonel Thomas S. Clark, Commandant of the Marine Barracks Washington DC, who received the Order of Honor and Merit, the Distinguished Service Order, and the Brevet of Merit from Haiti.

post-8847-0-57751800-1551237184_thumb.jpeg

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not a device per se, but if the identification is correct, this dress uniform could have been worn on Haiti when Captain Harold D Hanson served with the 1st Brig mar

• 2 months later...
Ret FireFighter

Hope it's OK to "bump" this thread. 

Any more info - photos, etc. - on the Gendarmerie d'Haiti  from the first "occupation" of Haiti?

In addition to the USMC - any source or info for how many US Navy personnel -and ranks- served?

Note:  As in the Blue Book - most (all?) of the USMC were officers.  Albert Albrecht (see post/s #15, 58, 61, 62) was  *Enlisted* Navy Chief.

Thanks!

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I think the Blue Book just lists officers but there were certainly enlisted-men there too.  Most had a Gd'H officer rank and it didn't necessarily align with their USMC rank.

I havent picked up anything new in a long while, I am always on the lookout though!

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, shrapneldude said:

Bailey Banks & Biddle made a lot of the insignia and buttons for the Gendarmerie in Haiti and Nicaragua. The second example is most likely a sand cast of a BBB example.