Devices worn by USMC in Haiti

SgtMaddoxUSMC

no markings on cap badges but the Chevrons and the GDH pins are both marked B.B.&B. > Bronze

I'm sure your aware but I wasn't > (Bailey, Banks, and Biddle )

I can send pics > they are pretty clear

Here are some back side pics along with a picture of my grampa in uniform wearing a pith helmet and one pic. of his campaigne

We are moving my parents up here close to us next week so I will get some of those other pictures showing daily life of a US Marine Haitian Gendarmerie uploaded

Enjoy !

post-164001-0-55133400-1477534990_thumb.jpg

post-164001-0-43047600-1477534800_thumb.jpg

post-164001-0-11000200-1477534782_thumb.jpg

post-164001-0-83909600-1477534774_thumb.jpg

post-164001-0-26313900-1477534743_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Ret FireFighter

And here is a Doctor Albert Albrecht who served with the Marines wearing the same cover and collar devices as Lt. Kinney but also with what appear to be medical cross collar discs to the rears of the GDH devices.

attachicon.gifALBRECHT.jpg

Happened on this site - joined to be able to post to this thread.......

"Doctor" Albrecht Albrecht was *not* a medical doctor.

He was a (very accomplished) USN Chief Pharmacists Mate, born March 26, 1884 in Wellsville, Kansas - who enlisted in the Navy Nov.17, 1905 as a Hospital Apprentice.

"Accomplished" - as he only attended two years of High School, but (as per his discharge in 1922)

was a clinical Laboratory Technician & Registered Pharmacist.

Ratings held: "H.A., HA1c, CPhM, Lieut., Medical Service, U.S. Marine Constabulary Detachment, Haiti, W.I."

He was a member of the Constabulary (and Lieut. Gendarmerie d'Haiti) from 9/28/1916 to 9/23/1919.

On the original page of the Blue Book which lists him as "Dr". Albrecht Albrecht, he crossed out the

"Dr" and changed it to "Lieut."

His wife joined him in Haiti, and their first child "Mary" (my first cousin) was born there, but she died shortly after her birth. His second child (Catherine) was born in the US.

Catherine's son Tom (Albert's grandson) lives in So. CA. as I do.

I had the privilege of living with my dad (my mother passed away shortly after I was born) and

"Uncle" Albert Albrecht and his wife (my father's sister) from 1941 until his passing in 1966.

He was always proud of his service - and especially his time in Haiti.

Anchors Aweigh - and Semper Fi.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Wow! Thank you for the information! It is always great to hear the history from the family firsthand! I wonder if any of his uniforms or memorabilia were handed down and are still in good custody... would love to see some photos someday if so! Thanks again for sharing! Semper Fi!

I'd like to see these posts merged into the USMC virtual Campaign library thread; http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3191-usmc-virtual-campaign-library-haiti-1915-1934/?hl=haiti

These posts are awesome and the information is so hard to find. Is there any way to merge this tread into it?

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Ret FireFighter

Reply to SgtMaddox (post #59):

In re; Lt. Albert Albrecht ("Dr. Albert Albrecht")

Forgot to add thanks for the excellent enlargement (post #15) - and a bit of info on the Blue Book of Haiti - should anyone

be interested.

The book can be viewed - page by page - and/or downloaded (*very* lengthy) if so desired.

Another option is to purchase a copy from Google books - available through several sources for about $15 plus shipping.

Although not what collectors would consider "collectable" (an original will run about $450), it is very readable, with photos and

even includes the paid advertisements in the back.

Another reference to "Dr' Albert Albrecht can be found on page 35 of the Blue Book, under "Sanitary Department" on page 35:

"In the Gendarmerie Hospital the genial Dr. Albert Albrecht holds forth and in addition to doctoring up the Gendarmaries spends his time in the laboratory classifying microbes of all kinds. Doctor Albrecht has really become the last court of appeal in things

pertaining to laboratory work and general research."

Collectibles I wish I had -

One of my childhood memories was finding a 30 or 40 pictures of diminutive black Haitian natives (referred to as "Negritos")

with every kind of injury and illness imaginable - including elephantiasis in a (his) dresser drawer.

Great quality, black & white. I'll guess my Aunt discovered MY sleuthing and decided they had to go, and they disappeared.

Post #28 - Uniform buttons. (Unfortunately, no uniforms).

I have several of the silver buttons shown in post #28 - which, I assume, where from Al's uniform.

If so, they were worn by the Navy as well as the Marines.

Post #34 - Photo Album.

I have a very similar photo album - same color, and tie as a binder at the side.

The one I have, is titled "Postal Souvenirs". Apparently it was given to Mrs. Albrecht (my Aunt Mary) just before he was sent

to Haiti. It's dated (as a gift to his wife - or maybe she purchased it) Dec. 5, 1915 - with a label of "Date Sale" from the seller, "C.D. Peacokc, Chicago, Illinois - 11-30-15"

Uncle Al's records show that he was stationed at the US Naval Hospital, Great Lakes, Il - at that time.

It's full of photos and "postal souvenirs" of his travels - mostly of the P.I. and Haiti.

Post 39 & 40 - Sword.

Another -as a kid- memory was of a flintlock musket (the action worked) in our garage, The family rumor was, it was a common long arm for the various rebel groups. At some point the barrel had been shortened (for shipping?), and MOST unfortunately - it "disappeared" many years ago even before my teenage years.

But, seeing the sword pics - I remembered the sword - that came from I know not where - kicking around my garage.

Knew right where it was - and checked it out. Again - unfortunately - drat! no crests or markings of any kind on the sword or scabbard.

Besides being genial - "Uncle Al" had a booming voice, chewed broad leaf tobacco (not "plugs"), and would regale us kids with his favorite Navy "sea story" - which my cousin and I can start or finish to this day......

(In fine -booming- voice):

The USS T-con-der-oga!

Seventy-seven decks and a glass bottom!

You can look down and see the fishes swimming in the sea!

When we were young enough - - we believed it.

~

Ret FireFighter

A bit more trivia...

Uncle Al was discharged from active duty to Fleet Naval Reserve in July of 1922.

He was ordered back to active duty in Aug.1942 (he was 57 years old!).

Discharged Aug. 1945.

He was working as a Pharmacist in California in 1950.

The Korean conflict began - - he applied for active duty (he was 66 then!) - he indicates in a handwritten resume:

"Informed by the Commandant, 11th Naval District, San Diego, CA - no *retired* men being ordered back to duty at the present time".

Back to Gendarmerie / Haiti and medical treatment for the military.

It should be noted that until the late 1930's and the discovery of sulfa and it's various compounds, there was no treatment for strep various infections. In fact, despite many efforts by major pharmaceutical companies, many thought medical science had gone as far as possible - that no breakthrough would ever happen.

Blood infections and strep throat could be a death sentence,

Ex; In 1924, the son of President Coolidge found a blister on his big toe after playing tennis. He treated it with iodine and forgot about it. When it became infected, despite the efforts of the best physicians available to the President - and hopes that his immune system would kick in, his son died about a week later.from Streptococcus pyogenes.

One physician said once when that germ was discovered in his bloodstream, recovery had been "hopeless from the start".

A excellent "read" is the book, "The Demon Under The Microscope - from battlefield hospitals to Nazi labs, one doctor's heroic search for the world's first Miracle Drug" by Thomas Hager..

So what where the duties of Lt. Albrecht and the physicians in Haiti - without the medicines we take for granted now?

This summary of a speech to the 134th meeting of the Chicago Pharmaceutical Association in Chicago, April 6th 1923, sheds a bit of light on the subject -

"Lieutenant Albert Albrecht of the Medical Service U.S. Marine Constabulary Detachment in Haiti and formerly Chief Pharmacist's Mate U.S. Navy, presented a very pleasing and instructive address covering some of his experiences in home and foreign lands. He has seen service in the Philippines, Panama, and Haiti.

He directed attention to the broad range of education required and to the varied duties and experiences of (a) Pharmacist's Mate in the U.S. Navy; the prescription experience in the dispensary; the chemical examination of food supplies, water, stomach contents, etc., in the laboratory; the wide range of bacteriologic examinations and serologic preparations in the biological room; the stenographic and clerical work in the office.

He also presented very interesting experiences in connection with the study of malaria and dengue fever and the elimination of mosquitoes in Panama and the Philippines and dwelt especially on the materia medica and practices of the native priests and medicine men of the 'black republic' of Haiti.

Lieut. Albrecht received many expressions for his splendid talk."

BTW - his father - Bernhardt Albrecht was a Civil War Vet, Sgt., Co. D, 37th Regiment, Ohio Infantry.

(He must have been proud of his service, as it's inscribed on his grave marker, in the Wellsville, KS Cemetery)

Family historical "lore" - was that his skills as a sharpshooter were frequently utilized.

~

• 3 months later...

Was finally able to talk my son into trying on his great grampa's Genarmerie D'haiti uniform . We also found a couple pairs of his dress whites which I would guess is what the brass buttons and cheverons / badges we haqve were used for

post-164001-0-56033200-1491842619_thumb.jpg

post-164001-0-06894200-1491842634_thumb.jpg

post-164001-0-36038800-1491842640_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Awesome stuff!!! He is taking his roll as a Marine very seriously, I like it! Also, Fry, I sent a PM to your inbox!

If he ever ends up serving when he gets older he'll be the fourth generation of Fry's to serve in the Corps ! ( not sure how his mom feels about that but his grandpa and cousin would be ecstatic... ;) and am sure his great gramps would be looking down with pride )

• 1 year later...

This group is attributed to Commander William Gilber Baker who served with the Gendarmerie d'Haiti during the Haitian Campaign of 1920. Baker also served in the Mexican Campaign 1914, Dominican Campaign 1916, WWI, and WWII. He served in the American, European, and Pacific theatres of WWII, having earned five battle stars. I am curious to how he ended up with two stars on his WWI Victory Medal, which appears to be authorized later.

Baker was awarded the Haitian Distinguished Service Medal, which is rare for US Navy Officers. Based on the Haitian rank insignia, it appears that he served as a senior Officer with the Gendarmerie d'Haiti. There were far more Marines who served with the Gendarmerie d'Haiti. Both the Haitian Distinguished Service Medal and the Gendarmerie d'Haiti collar insignia are maker marked by Bailey, Banks, and Biddle. The USN overseas AP insignia is maker marked by KC Luke of Australia.

Baker served as an Enlisted Sailor, a Warrant Officer, and a Commissioned Naval Officer.

I look forward to learning more about him and his service, especially his service with the Gendarmerie d'Haiti.

post-8847-0-93751500-1543895876.jpeg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Awesome group Rocco! I've never seen the chevrons in threes before. I am still trying to find out which Haitian ranks correlate to the chevrons. Love those WO bars too!

Thank You Erik, and yes, I am curious about the Haitian rank too.

I also have three USMC groups tha5 I should post and a few items and insignia for the Gendarmerie.

We need to get the thread going for similar Nicaraguan items too.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I am always looking for Haitian and Nicaraguan devices so if you ever have any you feel like moving, please let me know! I look forward to seeing what else you have! The Nicaraguan devices I am aware of are the triangular Garde Nacional cover and collar badges and the crescent rank devices (which I imagine are the equivalent to the Haitian chevrons).

• 2 months later...