Devices worn by USMC in Haiti

SgtMaddoxUSMC

What an awesome cover, Kevin! Thank you for sharing it! How is it attached to the cover? Do you know if there is a hallmark on the device at all?

It is screw back with no hall mark. It looks like a mate to the one posted in #22. Thanks again for this great topic!

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here are Gendarmerie d'Haiti buttons.
The larger images are buttons that are currently for sale on Flying Tiger Antiques, the small photo of the full set is from an old auction. The two buttons from FTA are both marked N.S. Meyer, New York. I believe these buttons were only worn by the Marines themselves. One reference states that the enlisted Haitians wore surplus USMC uniforms with plain buttons. They also wore the Gendarmerie devices and the chevron devices.

post-133515-0-82451000-1471657497_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is a belt buckle for sale from Flying Tiger that is purported to be an Enlisted Gendarmarie piece. I am not sure if I agree because with all of the other devices which are clearly marked Gendarmarie or Garde, this buckle has a ribbon which runs above the emblem as opposed to beneath it and this one reads Republique d'Haiti. I am including it as a piece of interest but I still would like to see documentation or photographic evidence of them being worn before definitely calling this a USMC worn piece.

post-133515-0-89940000-1471658140_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Fascinating stuff on a subject that I was never aware of!

Thank you for posting this uncommon aspect of USMC heraldry & history.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is a shot of LtCol Douglas C. McDougal (namesake of the USMC McDougal match trophy) who led the Gendarmerie at the time, alongside Major Harry L. Smith and the first Gendarmerie d'Haiti rifle team which won bronze at the 1924 Paris Olympics. The Marines cane be seen wearing the Gendarmerie devices on their helmets and lapels (under their EGA's) and the Haitians wear the devices on their pisscutters (opposite vertical chevrons, pointed forward) and also on their standing collars. You can also see how decorated the team is! (Image and information from Mike Manifors page: http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/177_-_USMC_NAMED_MEDAL_1914.html )

post-133515-0-39439400-1471659508_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is another shot of the team with McDougal at what I imagine is their homecoming from Paris:
(Do not remember where I got this image)

post-133515-0-88431400-1471659812_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

The last thing I have to contribute to this thread is an interesting photo album whose owner has attached a Gendarmerie d'Haiti device to the cover of:

post-133515-0-16708100-1471659962_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I am glad everyone seems to be enjoying the topic. I hope more people can contribute and hopefully more forum members own or have other photos of some of these intriguing devices (I especially want to see the GDH collar devices!).. I will continue researching them and hope I can find some documentation regarding the design and issue (and significance of the chevrons) of these devices. I would also be interested in purchasing any USMC devices related to Haiti (or Nicaragua). Thanks for reading!

My Grandfather, William H. DeHaven USMC served in the 11th Company in Haiti, and brought this back with him. Aug 1916 to Feb 1917\

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

attachment=1137515:side 1a.jpg]

post-4767-0-40569100-1471712815_thumb.jpg

post-4767-0-45796900-1471712703.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

VERY COOL Jon! That is awesome! He was there just a year after the initial landing in 1915! I see the banner reads "Republique d'Haiti". Thanks for sharing it!

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Thank you all for the compliments! Definitely an interesting subject that I don't think has been touched on too much.. Again, I hope some people out there own some more of these devices and will somehow stumble across this thread and share what they have! :D :D :D

Nothing to contribute but thank you for some very interesting fodder to gnaw on! Fascinating topic.

An overlooked USMC topic, well researched. Bravo Zulu!

Very nice thread and interesting as well. Thanks for contributing.

Kurt

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is an interesting Marine! Made King by the natives after unknowlingly saving their queen.

Faustin Edmond Wirkus - born 16 November 1896 in Pennsylvania.
"The White King of Gonave"

(From Wikipedia) "During his service in the United States Marine Corps, he was promoted to a lieutenant in the Garde d'Haiti, commanding a squad of native troops on La Gonâve. After rescuing a young woman in trouble, he found out that she was Queen Timemenne of La Gonâve. He was welcomed by the population as Timemenne had told them how kind he was to her, and in part, due to the unusual circumstance that he had the same first name as the former Emperor of Haiti, Faustin Soulouque, later known as Faustin I ("Faustin the First"), who died in 1867. Somewhat bizarrely, the natives proclaimed him Faustin II in a Voodoo ritual and he ruled jointly with Queen Timemenne for three years. He became known for dispensing ready but gentle justice."

He ruled until 1929 when the Marine Corps transferred him back to the States. In the photo below you can see him wearing bronze Garde d'Haiti devices on his jacket lapels beneath EGAs and double-chevrons on his shoulder straps.

post-133515-0-56769000-1471728438.jpg post-133515-0-20229700-1471729336_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is another interesting piece I stumbled upon late last night.. a Garde d'Haiti Good Conduct Medal. I am unsure if this is real or period but again I figure I will include it as a piece of interest.

post-133515-0-55546600-1471728828_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here are some other interesting pieces, USMC Marksmanship badges in French in a bronze finish. I don't know if the Marines themselves wore them or if they were for the Haitian members of the Gendarmerie and Garde (I imagine the latter). Cool nonetheless! (Photo from an old post by Mike / mmerc20)

post-133515-0-52608600-1471731601_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

Interesting study on a little known subject.Hopefully this thread will draw some other items "out of the woodwork".Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Most likely made by BB&B. Sent you document about it, but too large to post right now.

Here is another interesting piece I stumbled upon late last night.. a Garde d'Haiti Good Conduct Medal. I am unsure if this is real or period but again I figure I will include it as a piece of interest.

attachicon.gif GardeDHaitiGoodConductFromMedalMedailleDotCom.jpg

Here is a photo from a Marine photo album of service in Haiti in the 1920's. This is a photo of the Presidents Guard 1926

Dick

post-9487-0-88221800-1472050214_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Thanks for the photo Dick! In addition to the Gendarmerie d'Haiti devices on their covers, it is interesting to see that they appear to be wearing Corporal and Sergeant chevrons on their sleeves. The one to the far right may be their officer as he appears to have some sort of shoulder devices and also a brassard on his left arm.

• 2 months later...

post-164001-0-67604800-1477518907_thumb.jpgpost-164001-0-08388000-1477518965_thumb.jpg

My Grandfather spent 5yrs in the Haitian gendarmerie ( 1922-1927) > He was in the USMC FROM 1917-1927

My father who is also a Marine ( Ret. > 1950-1978) of course kept all his fathers military items. including his uniform pictures and orders from his time in Haiti

I have attached some pics for you and would have no problem in sending you some more if you or anyone else in the forum would be interested

Great topic by the way !! Very interesting

post-164001-0-62196200-1477519013_thumb.jpg

post-164001-0-47399000-1477519196_thumb.jpg