Finally got one! A 1941 Canteen!

Morlok

I spotted this one on eBay a few days ago. I knew it would go through the roof, since these tend to bring $500 or more, so I quickly sent an offer. Just got it today!

post-67213-0-54804900-1471536549.jpegpost-67213-0-61655800-1471536559.jpeg

It looks like this one was issued. It has the initials JAB etched into the bottom. The cup that came with it is post war. Im just happy to finally have one, after a few years of searching!!

1941 dated canteens are extremely rare. Many collectors have searched for years with no luck. I recently read a post on the forum where a forum member finally found one...He went 30 years without actually seeing one! I'll try to find the post with more info, and post the link here...

Thanks! I didn't know they were worth more than any other canteen, until I read about them on the forum a few years back. I have been searching ever since. I spent hours at every show, looking through canteens...my wife even helped search at the shows! When this one showed up in the mail today, my wife was pretty happy...No more digging through canteens at shows!!

Thanks for the great replies! I'm tempted to match it up with a minty 41 cup & cover, but I think I might leave it in the cover, and just add a good 41 cup. There's no way to know for certain, but the set "feels" like it has been together a long time. It's just hard to leave a post war cup in it!

General Colt

Awesome Canteen! I can remember a guy having a 1941 Canteen priced $750, and it even had the original cork. Congrats on finding one!

-Coltie ;)