Aircraft Instruments WWII?

tigerfan

Just acquired these instruments at a local estate auction today. The first (3) photos show two of the same instrument. It had a hand written tag included that read: "HVAR Rocket Control Group WW2 & Korea Used in F4U Corsair and Possibly Others". Photos to follow.

post-2609-0-82757000-1471387357_thumb.jpg

The next instrument had a hand written tag that read: "WW2 C-1 Autopilot Gyro Used in B17, B24, B29 Worked in Conjunction With Norden Bombsight".

It was raining at the auction and the instruments were outside on a table. Needless to say the hand written tags did not survive the water. However I have no idea if the tags were correct with the id of these instruments. Let the photos be your guide. Any input is appreciated.

These did not come from the same source as the PBY control wheel I just posted.

post-2609-0-71876300-1471387612_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The latter item is exactly what it says it is. It is the gyroscope that stabilized the C-1 autopilot system in USAAF bombers in WWII. The Norden bombsight was designed to drop bombs precisely from high altitudes, and as originally intended the signals from the Pilot's Directional Indicator (PDI) would be transmitted from the bombsight to the cockpit, and the pilot would fly the aircraft based on that indicator. It soon became apparent that human piloting could not provide the stable platform needed, so Honeywell was asked to develop an autopilot for these planes. In the full system, the Norden bombsight was connected to the C-1 autopilot system and on the bomb run, the bombardier would assume control of the airplane and fly it using the bombsight. The gyroscope you have is only one of many components to the autopilot system; some other major components include the C-1 autopilot control box and the servos that actually manipulated the ailerons, rudder, and elevator. There have been some of these gyros falsely advertised as part of the Norden bombsight itself, or called a Norden bombsight "stabilizer". Retail value on one of these gyroscopes is probably $200-$400 depending on the condition. I can provide more information if you need it.

There have been some of these gyros falsely advertised as part of the Norden bombsight itself, or called a Norden bombsight "stabilizer". Retail value on one of these gyroscopes is probably $200-$400 depending on the condition. I can provide more information if you need it.

Some enlightening information in this post. The Norden of course, did mount atop a stabilizer unit (gyro). If memory serves, the gyro in the Norden bombsight itself stabilized pitch and roll, and the stabilizer unit picked up the directional axis?

You are correct. The stabilizer provided azimuth stabilization only, and the sighthead stabilized pitch and roll. I have restored several of these systems to full operational condition, and here is an instructional video I made that explains how the whole thing works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsr46v8vV8o.