Shipboard general purpose folding chair

hink441

Found this one in a local salvage store. Price was right so it came home with me. Being in a Navy town you would think these are easy to find, but I can't remember finding another one around here. I plan on stripping this one down and giving it a fresh coat of haze gray paint. Exciting stuff ?

Chris

post-10825-0-74030800-1471288930_thumb.jpeg

Just curious, how do you know it's a Navy ship chair?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I was just wondering what led you to that conclusion, as I've seen civilian metal chairs with those seat holes in them before.

Just curious, how do you know it's a Navy ship chair?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I was just wondering what led you to that conclusion, as I've seen civilian metal chairs with those seat holes in them before.

Good question.

The construction of this chair is not your typical construction. It is heavy duty welded aluminum and is quite strong. It is made to NAVSEA specifications: Chair, Folding, Type VII (B-3C-3).

Here is the ordering info from one of the NAVSEA shipboard furniture catalog.

I also used these chairs daily during my 20 year career in the Navy. Always wanted to locate one.

Chris

post-10825-0-16001700-1471389645_thumb.jpeg

Here is some of the specification requirements for shipboard furniture.

Chair, Folding, Type VII (B-3C-3) (4 Each)

Table, Sgl Ped 36W X 36L Aluminum (B-4C-10) (4 Each)

Desk, Log with Drop Leaf (B-5B-4) (4 Each)

The proposed contract action must meet specification as outlined in the Shipboard Catalog as follows:

Reference:

Shipboard Catalog

Specifications:

Furniture item numbers referred to herein may indicate a specific furniture item described in the U.S. NAVY shipboard furniture catalog; NAVSEA S9600-AD-GTP-010. NAVSEA drawing numbers for fabrication of furniture items are given when available. All furniture items are to be fabricated in accordance with the following specifications where applicable: (note: workmanship described herein must be adhered to.)

A. Mil-F-243 shipboard furniture, steel

B. Mil-F-902 shipboard furniture, aluminum

C. NAVSEA drawing HTD805-1642368 furniture construction details

D. NAVSHIPS drawing HTD-S3200-860055 hardware for metal furniture

Salvage Sailor

Good question.

The construction of this chair is not your typical construction. It is heavy duty welded aluminum and is quite strong. It is made to NAVSEA specifications: Chair, Folding, Type VII (B-3C-3).

Here is the ordering info from one of the NAVSEA shipboard furniture catalog.

I also used these chairs daily during my 20 year career in the Navy. Always wanted to locate one.

Chris

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Ditto that, says a ward room messcook who had to hang them up on hooks when cleaning the ward room and state room decks

They're quite distinctive with the square tube frames and perforated seats