Hard Worn USCGR Dog Tag

muddyboots

I picked this one up a few days ago but haven't found anything on the vet. I found several men with the same name but there death certificate says U.S. Navy instead of USCGR. I was attracted to it because it is so worn and I didn't have a silver tag in my collection. I haven't seen any Coast Guard muster rolls online so he may be difficult to find without getting his record. It came out of the Madison, Connecticut area but that may not be where he is from. Any information welcome.

post-24366-0-60716300-1471180443_thumb.jpeg

Love it. I have one in almost the exact same condition, it's a sterling one I believe as well. It's my belief with this type of wear through the holes that a thicker neck cord (boot lace maybe) was worn with them.

For comparison:

post-104906-0-22755000-1471181057_thumb.jpg

I remember that tag and while trying to research mine I ran across the last name Silva in a muster roll roll for D-Day . I can't remember if it was LCI-91 or another Coast Guard D-Day muster roll. Any ideas on a date range for the service number.

Nice tag.

This type of wear to the holes is most often caused by a large split ring when used on a key chain.

Wharf

Nice tag.

This type of wear to the holes is most often caused by a large split ring when used on a key chain.

Wharf

That might be but it has the look that the vet drilled it out with a knife or something of that nature. It doesn't match being drilled as the hole would be clean and it's not a nail because the hole would be through one side. But the hole does show polish like it was on a string.

Boy, I tried looking him up, but couldn't find CG records. Found one of the same name in the USMC and in the USN, but no CG.

Enjoyed seeing the picture of your new tag, as I had no idea that some were made of sterling!

Boy, I tried looking him up, but couldn't find CG records. Found one of the same name in the USMC and in the USN, but no CG.

Enjoyed seeing the picture of your new tag, as I had no idea that some were made of sterling!

Thanks for trying. I found a bunch of guys on ancestry but they were either Army, Navy or Marines. I did find one guy from Massachusetts that's not to far from where the tag was purchased but he has no service listed. I did find out that he served in the PTO. Maybe one of the guys that is marked Navy is a miss print.

I remember that tag and while trying to research mine I ran across the last name Silva in a muster roll roll for D-Day . I can't remember if it was LCI-91 or another Coast Guard D-Day muster roll. Any ideas on a date range for the service number.

Unfortunately no clue on the range for the service number. My guy was aboard the USS Cavalier for all her engagements in the PTO. No USN/USCG D-Day related tags just yet on my end!

Unfortunately no clue on the range for the service number. My guy was aboard the USS Cavalier for all her engagements in the PTO. No USN/USCG D-Day related tags just yet on my end!

When I googled U.S. Coast Guard WW2. You will find the USCG history page and it was a very interesting to see how active they were. Every amphibious landing would have been that much tougher without them and would have slowed down the progress of the war. You just don't hear about the CG's contribution to the war that often.

It seems his last name is slightly misspelled on the first tag and his correct name is on the second tag that I just bought today. I was able to find him in the muster rolls on ancestry.com and he served on LST-204 from April 1943 to June 1944. From what I can tell he participated in the following landings. Cape Gloucester, Finschhafen occupation and Biak Island and then he is transferred in late June 1944. After his transfer I lose him and can't seem to find anything else. Maybe a little more digging will turn up more.

post-24366-0-69145300-1471558425.jpeg

Incredible tag, James! It's not every day you come across a USCG tag with ties to Cape Gloucester

The best part is the second tag that definitely was made on ship with a nice tetanus date of 12-43.

The best part is the second tag that definitely was made on ship with a nice tetanus date of 12-43.

Absolutely, not a doubt in my mind it was worn during the assault on Cape Gloucester