Plt. Sgt Nowaczyk USMC Medals - KIA 3/6 Marines - Saipan

jeffs1130

I found this grouping several years ago at the local flea market... Think I paid $15...

I first noticed the Asiatic Campaign medal sitting there and when I inquired he told me there was a set of three medals and a letter!

The letter is to the parents of Platoon Sergeant Louis Nowaczyk of Little Suamico, Wisconsin and is mentioning the posthumous awards of this son who was killed in action. The medals enclosed were the American Campaign, Asiatic Campaign, and WWII Victory Medal.

I was later able to find out (on togetherweserved) Plt. Sgt. Nowaczyk was a member of 3rd Batallion, 6th Marines, India Company and was killed on Saipan on 15 JUN 44. Plt. Sgt. Nowaczyk S/N was 287940. He was later interned at Rock Island National Cemetery in Illinois.

Unfortunately, the whereabouts of his Purple Heart is unknown… I also don' t know if he was awarded any other medals, ie. Bronze Star...

If anyone has a 3/6 Marine Book, I would really like to get a photo of this Marine… He joined in 1940, so he photo might be in a “Red Book” if one exist for this Regiment… Please let me know! Additional info is also appreciated! Thanks!

post-163305-0-35253400-1471061659.jpg

• 4 months later...

No, unfortunately no other Medals besides the above mentioned and a PUC...

What was very interesting and neat to see was the copy of the above letter in the official file!

Sad story... Just like every KIA

Very nice set. I have a set of tags to a guy who might have been in his platoon. His name is Joe H Hood that was in Co. I 3rd battalion 6th marines, and they were both on LST-271 that delivered them to Saipan for the assault.

That's very cool! He had to be! Was a Platoon Sgt!

From what I read the landings were Hell. Japs had ever inch zeroed in... Marine appears to have been stuck in the head by shrapnel from that artillery fire. Sad...He made it past Tarawa... And he reenlisted right before he died.

It's shocking how little credit Marines got... If he was in the army and killed he would automatically have received a bronze star medal. I've seen so many KIAs in the army get that. Also they got them retroactive for the CIB! What did the Marines get? Nothing... This Marine lead Marines into battle and landings and all he gets are campaign medals and a purple heart for giving his life. Sad

That's very cool! He had to be! Was a Platoon Sgt!

From what I read the landings were Hell. Japs had ever inch zeroed in... Marine appears to have been stuck in the head by shrapnel from that artillery fire. Sad...He made it past Tarawa... And he reenlisted right before he died.

It's shocking how little credit Marines got... If he was in the army and killed he would automatically have received a bronze star medal. I've seen so many KIAs in the army get that. Also they got them retroactive for the CIB! What did the Marines get? Nothing... This Marine lead Marines into battle and landings and all he gets are campaign medals and a purple heart for giving his life. Sad

That's the way a friends dad felt who was in the 2nd battalion 8th marines.as he commanded them. He said that he hated the way medals were delivered and that there was a hell of a lot marines that didn't earn them when they should have.

• 2 weeks later...