Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

NOTE:  Patches defying identification are noted in RED, identified are GREEN

Aloha Everyone,

Anything familiar here?

UNK 010 - Large naval/nautical patch 5 1/2"h x 4 1/2"w

UNK 010.jpg

Salvage Sailor

UNK 011 - 5"h x 5 1/2"w - This came with a large set which was owned by a retired Naval officer who served on at least 5 different Minesweepers. All of the other patches in the group are either Minesweepers or Mine Warfare commands and squadrons. All of the patches are marked on the reverse '1962' which is the year he retired and collected these.

ID MINRON 4, Charleston South Carolina 1950's. Thanks to Firefighter for the positive ID

UNK 011.jpg

UNK 011a Reverse

UNK 011a.jpg

Salvage Sailor

UNK 012

Edit: ID'd as USAF 52nd fighter interceptor wing - missing "Seek, Attack, Destroy" scroll thanks to Skio

UNK 012.jpg

UNK 012a Reverse

UNK 012a.jpg

Salvage Sailor

UNK 014 - Cereal Box patch or ?

Edit: ID'd as USAF 92nd Armament and Electronics Maintenance Squadron 2" ballcap patch thanks to Mark1

UNK 014.jpg

UNK 014a.jpg

Salvage Sailor

UNK 015 - Cereal Box patch or ?

Edit: ID'd as USAF 58th Fighter Interceptor squadron 2" ballcap patch thanks to Skio

UNK 015.jpg

UNK 015a.jpg

Salvage Sailor

UNK 017 - 3 1/2" round - This one has defied translation although the meaning is fairly clear.....

UNK 017.jpg

UNK 017a.jpg

Salvage Sailor

#12-52nd FIW missing separate "Seek, Attack, Destroy" bottom tab. USAF

#15-58th FIS USAF

Thanks Skio,

I figured those two were USAF, especially #12 due to the shield shape

The UNK 014 belongs to the USAF 92nd Armament and Electronics Maintenance Squadron, looks like there ball cap patch.

Mark

Johnny Signor

Your first posted patch I think may be a military "Tug Boat" type seeing as the title says "Tug Oers" possibly military fire tug type ..........

The second posted image I think is a military Weather unit type seeing the cloud and lightning bolt on it , the dates may be the years the unit existed and or psooibly years Hurricanes were checked out/flown into , just an opinion , but possibly something to go on check into .........

Salvage Sailor

Thanks for the input Johnny,

I also think it's a tugboat, either civilian or military. Something about it says Alaska to me but that's just a hunch. I've been searching for the Red Fox for years, but the only Red Fox tug I've found online is Spanish, built in 2005. The patch is much older that this so the search continues.

I chased down the weather angle, and Anti-Submarine warfare with no luck. This patch is probably Mine Warfare related as it came from a career USN Mine Officer along with many other mine warfare patches. It's also round, as is the Indian face which is indicative of mine warfare. No clue what the '4' and the WWII years denote. That's the key but it's eluded me thus far.

Hopefully someone will figure them out.

Your #3 I have seen before. I was thinking a Mine Division.But the ribbon below the Indians head looks like a FLOTILLA flag. So maybe 4th Mine Flotilla?

Salvage Sailor

UNK 019 - USN Ace Novelty patch - Anyone have the squadron ID?

UNK 019.jpg

UNK 19a - Reverse, or is it a USAF patch?

UNK 019a.jpg

ComputerChris

Thanks for the input Johnny,

I also think it's a tugboat, either civilian or military.

Red fox is a Tug boat. The OERS might be for Oregon Emergency Response System or a related rescue service.

Salvage Sailor

UNK 020 North Africa - I still have no ID on this North Africa patch

Anyone recognize this one? Army or Air Force Comm unit? I thought it may be related to Sidi Yahia but so far nothing.

UPDATE: Finally got a positive ID on this one from a USN Vet. It is NAVCOMMSTA SIDI YAHIA, MOROCCO, circa 1971

UNK 020 NORTH AFRICA.jpg

UNK 020a NORTH AFRICA.jpg

SIDI YAHIA MOROCCO.jpg

• 8 months later...
Johnny Signor

The patch with the #4 and the Ww2 years, is there a chance the "4" is the minesweepers hull number of the Ww2 years , maybe like a "Friday" patch .........

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Johnny,

Tried that from several different angles and "4" as a Group, Squadron, Division, Flotilla yet it still eludes identification

UNK 11

ID MINRON 4, Charleston South Carolina 1950's. Thanks to Firefighter for the positive ID

UNK 011.jpg

• 2 months later...