2nd Lt Shoulder Boards lot

I purchased this small group together. I believe the 2nd lieutenant shoulder boards and hat cord are Indian war period. The 1st lieutenant boards are later and look like someone cut the edges off for some reason.

The box is marked M.C. Lilley & Co. It has 1st Lt Shoulder Straps, and possibly 3.00 at the top written on it.

The hat cord has two small North Dakota buttons on a string, and a tag. One side of the tag says From my uniform and the other says hat cord from Major Ulis. This group also came with a Knights Templar medal that says Fargo Commandery Fargo DAK, No.5.

My local library has a limited version of Ancestry. Its showing an Irish-born James Ulis on the 1910 census living in Cass County, North Dakota. Hes listed as a military instructor at a college. Im seeing the same name on an 1866 United States Army enlistment register listing him at age 33, born in Belfast Ireland, serving in the 16th infantry, and living in New York. It says he was discharged June 2, 1866, by reason of promotion to 2nd lieutenant.

Thats all I can find on him so far. He doesnt come up in any Civil War regiments that I can find.

post-159669-0-90863000-1470507371_thumb.jpg

Two bars are for a Captain. Second Lieutenants did not get bars until WW1. Their straps were plain until then.

Thanks atb, it looks like it's too late to edit my post.

Steve Rogers

Your guy seems to be listed as "Ulio" as well, and his "correct name" is given in Heitmann as James Graham. Here is the Heitmann listing:

post-151665-0-44882500-1470941555_thumb.jpg

Your guy seems to be listed as "Ulio" as well, and his "correct name" is given in Heitmann as James Graham. Here is the Heitmann listing:

Well that's interesting, thanks Steve! Any ideas on how he ended up listed with two last names?

Steve Rogers

"Ulio" was apparently the name he adopted when he enlisted in the army in 1855. He was probably following the romantic tradition of adopting a "nom de guerre," though it sometimes had practical benefits of keeping people from finding you. I don't know why he chose that particular name. You will find a lot of information on him just by googling "Major James Ulio." I assume that Major General James Alexander Ulio, US Army Adjutant General, was a son.

Here is a photo of Major Ulio from his find-a-grave listing.

post-151665-0-53798600-1471314061.jpg