USN & USNR Cargo Handling Battalions (NCHB)

Proud Kraut

I do not collect Navy patches but got this some days ago with some more Army stuff. I did a little web research and found out it's from Navy Cargo Handling Battalion 4. What I would like to know is: do Navy personnel wear such patches on uniform or is that a Novelty/"Blazer" patch?

Thanks!

Lars

CHB4.JPG

Salvage Sailor
I do not collect Navy patches but got this some days ago with some more Army stuff. I did a little web research and found out it's from Navy Cargo Handling Battalion 4. What I would like to know is: do Navy personnel wear such patches on uniform or is that a Novelty/"Blazer" patch?

Thanks!

Lars

That is a Cargo Handling patch, but I can't say it's real for certain. Here is one from the First Battalion at Little Creek, VA.

This is from a grouping that belonged to a USN Chief who was a career cargo handler (AKA's, Amphibs, SeaBees, Gator Freighters, etc. ) Check out his patch on the bottom right of this home made plaque .....

Amphib_001a.jpg

Salvage Sailor
Thank you Salvage Sailor! So your one is from Battailion 1, isn't it? Do you know if these were worn on uniform?

Lars

They could be worn on work jackets (blue or black), Chief's khaki jackets, or working greens & Deck jackets. Mostly they were collected as souveniers by the sailors.

When the small boat units and I think cargo handling units and maybe even the amphibious cb units changed to cammies they wore unit patches similar to this one on the tops at first they were colored then more subdued this was in the reserve somewhere around 1990-95 maybe earlier maybe later I do not remember exactly as I was not in one of those units but I do remember them being an issued item and I remember them being worn.

John

Thanks!

Lars

Hi,

I have an identical one, and I think they are worn...just I don't know what...

Andrew

Salvage Sailor
When the small boat units and I think cargo handling units and maybe even the amphibious cb units changed to cammies they wore unit patches similar to this one on the tops at first they were colored then more subdued this was in the reserve somewhere around 1990-95 maybe earlier maybe later I do not remember exactly as I was not in one of those units but I do remember them being an issued item and I remember them being worn.

John

They are unit/command issued. You're right about the current Navy regs, they are now either subdued or in cammie colors when worn on BDU's or cammie uniforms.

Reference: http://www.usnst.org/Refs/Uniform%20Regs%20Chapter%206.pdf

see page 6-50 and following pages

They are unit/command issued. You're right about the current Navy regs, they are now either subdued or in cammie colors when worn on BDU's or cammie uniforms.

Reference: http://www.usnst.org/Refs/Uniform%20Regs%20Chapter%206.pdf

see page 6-50 and following pages

Yeah, they were worn on the greens and later cammies, both woodland and desert. Also on the field jacket. On greens they were full color, on the assorted cammies, the background color went to the main color of the uniform and the design was darkened but still in color

Steve Hesson

• 1 year later...

post-9829-1269282393.jpg

Close up of patch

Hey Salvage Sailor,

One Tugger to another (544 guy), thats one beautiful El's Anchor you got there, not your car I hope! Picked up on your NAFTS handle while searching for a patch which may be long forgotten. After two years aboard the USS Munsee (ATF-107) I shipped out to Subic Bay to CHB-2. Not long after that with the 3rd Marines in Danang RVN in April 1965. Spent the next 17 months off loading bombs, beer, booze and bulldozzers not exactly in that order either. I've been searching the net for a while for a patch for CHB-2 and I ran across this site a month or so ago. I posted a scanned image of the unit patch under arm & sholder patch fourm but have not come up with any hit at all. The newer patchs seem to be somewhat easy to run across but the one for CHB-2... ugh! The unit was activated for the Korean War and possibly re-activated for Vietnam. I tried several Supply Corp sites for some history but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I see that you are a moderator, so I'm guessing you'll get this note and attachment. I tried the message thing with no luck. I'm guessing that the reply method at the post level is the best method. Thanks, winchman

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Winchman,

You are on a long quest sailor, I doubt if many of those patches were made on the original run. You've posted the photo in the right venue though, as there are some very savvy collectors on this forum and they may come across this patch.

Welcome aboard. There are a few other salvor here and many old salts too.

PS - Wasn't my car, but the look on the owners face was priceless when the 'winchman' being trained let loose the Ells anchor. The Hawaii cop in the photo is trying to figure who gets the ticket, the car, the anchor or the salvage barge (HCU-1)

• 7 years later...

I am a little late way late. I was in Cargo Handling Battalion 3 in the late 1990's. Cargo Battalion 1 was the active duty unit the rest were reserve units scattered around the country. Cargo Handling Battalion 1 station at Naval Weapons Station Cheatham Annex, Virginia. They also have a cargo handling school there were they train you in cranes that can pick up 60 metric tons of cargo and other training in cargo handling and do ORE operational readiness evaluation of reserve units. They were used in the gulf war and the war now. To off load equipment from ships like the prepositioned ships that the Marines have that has all there equipment they use to have staged around the world you get the equipment there fast and fly in the troops. One of the better AT I did was do a off load and a on load from the MV Strong Virginian (T-AKR-9205) for the fleet hospital in Norway 150 miles past the artic circle 12 on 12 off a lot of work and 24 hours strait day light 17 days and 1 1/2 off. We shared a barracks with the Norwegians one of there Officers gave us a movie to watch in the lounge in the barracks Brave Hart was in English with Norwegian subtitles we watch it so much I can never watch it again.

Glad you brought this thread back up River Rat 1. I picked this up a few weeks ago. The name tape had been removed but I was able to grab it from the box. It's in the right chest pocket

post-150797-0-81932000-1504054015_thumb.jpg

post-150797-0-19222800-1504054061_thumb.jpg

One other thing. When in Special Boat Unit Eleven we had a type of patch like this it was on the left upper sleeve of the camo's uniform. Some time in the early 1990's the navy regulations said remove them from the uniform. So later after SBU XI got decommissioned I went to CHB 3 the same happened to them the patches were gone when I got there. Funny CHB 3 is gone now to decommissioned.

One other thing. When in Special Boat Unit Eleven we had a type of patch like this it was on the left upper sleeve of the camo's uniform. Some time in the early 1990's the navy regulations said remove them from the uniform. So later after SBU XI got decommissioned I went to CHB 3 the same happened to them the patches were gone when I got there. Funny CHB 3 is gone now to decommissioned.

Like this I believe this is a predecessor to SBU 11

post-582-0-53802500-1504129684_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Salvage Sailor

USN Cargo Handling and Port Group (NAVCHAPGRU)

Gemsco with rocker. This rocker is often mistaken as having something to do with USN Chaplains but it's correct for the Cargo Handlers

Cargo Handling and Port Group Gemsco 002.jpg

• 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor

Interesting that some of these patches say 'Force' and other say 'Battalion'

Navy Cargo Handling Force NCBH TEN - Subdued

Navy Cargo Handling Force NCHB TEN 001.jpg

Navy Cargo Handling Force NCHB TEN 002.jpg

Salvage Sailor

NCBH TEN - Combat Stevedores - Surface Company Delta, Honor, Commitment, Courage - full color

NCHB TEN Surface Company Delta 001.jpg

NCHB TEN Surface Company Delta 002.jpg

attachicon.gifCHB_Two.jpg

Hey Salvage Sailor,

One Tugger to another (544 guy), thats one beautiful El's Anchor you got there, not your car I hope! Picked up on your NAFTS handle while searching for a patch which may be long forgotten. After two years aboard the USS Munsee (ATF-107) I shipped out to Subic Bay to CHB-2. Not long after that with the 3rd Marines in Danang RVN in April 1965. Spent the next 17 months off loading bombs, beer, booze and bulldozzers not exactly in that order either. I've been searching the net for a while for a patch for CHB-2 and I ran across this site a month or so ago. I posted a scanned image of the unit patch under arm & sholder patch fourm but have not come up with any hit at all. The newer patchs seem to be somewhat easy to run across but the one for CHB-2... ugh! The unit was activated for the Korean War and possibly re-activated for Vietnam. I tried several Supply Corp sites for some history but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I see that you are a moderator, so I'm guessing you'll get this note and attachment. I tried the message thing with no luck. I'm guessing that the reply method at the post level is the best method. Thanks, winchman

here is the patch which matches your profile pic and the drawing

post-582-0-34352300-1551729929.jpg

Bearmon,

That's the one for sure. Where did you locate it? The last time I ran across one was about 2 years ago I missed on on eBay by about two hours.

That is an original theater made patch that came out of Subic Bay our home port in the 60's. Is it for sale?

Winchman