First style WWI 82nd Patche

tarbridge

Notice the absence of the "AA" on this First type...

002 (412x640).jpg

Then...one of the many variations untilized in WWI...

003 (423x640).jpg

Interesting. I noticed a number of these in your actual 82nd patch collection. When did the nickname "All American" come into use?

Since the Division drew members from all 48 States...the nickname "All American " was applied.I will have to dig it out but I have copies of the authorization to add the AA to their patche.They were being called the All American Division at Camp Gordon in 1917.

Robert,

I have that paperwork at the house and can scan it for you if you need it. It is the same packet of memos where the request to paint helmets with insignia was denied. Another fun fact was that initially, only the Officers were authorized the "AA" on their patches. This was changed when the Commanding Officer learned of it. The 82nd also attempted to emulate units like the 2nd Division that varied the colors of their patch to denote what BDE or BN they were. Again, Burham denied this; however, occasionally you will find uniforms that have a white circle instead of a blue one. That practice did not last long either. The earliest photo I have of a 82nd patch being worn is dated in September of 1918, about a month after the authorization for a patch.

The initial nickname of the 82nd was the "All Aboard" Division. That did not last very long. Robert is correct that the name All American originates in that the men were from all over the United States. I believe another reason was the multi-cultural flavor of the 82nd. 35% of the Division did not speak English and would attend classes after training at Camp Gordon.

Many of the immigrant joined the Army not long after coming to the US to show their gratitude and loyalty to the country that had welcomed them.

Robert,

I have that paperwork at the house and can scan it for you if you need it. It is the same packet of memos where the request to paint helmets with insignia was denied. Another fun fact was that initially, only the Officers were authorized the "AA" on their patches. This was changed when the Commanding Officer learned of it. The 82nd also attempted to emulate units like the 2nd Division that varied the colors of their patch to denote what BDE or BN they were. Again, Burham denied this; however, occasionally you will find uniforms that have a white circle instead of a blue one. That practice did not last long either. The earliest photo I have of a 82nd patch being worn is dated in September of 1918, about a month after the authorization for a patch.

The initial nickname of the 82nd was the "All Aboard" Division. That did not last very long. Robert is correct that the name All American originates in that the men were from all over the United States. I believe another reason was the multi-cultural flavor of the 82nd. 35% of the Division did not speak English and would attend classes after training at Camp Gordon.

Many of the immigrant joined the Army not long after coming to the US to show their gratitude and loyalty to the country that had welcomed them.

Thanks Dave...I have the paperwork on my desk...so we can forget locating it. :)

Having seen your desk Robert, I am impressed you could find it. Probably hidden under Chesty Puller's Navy Crosses and George Washington's teeth. lol