Help on unit Airborne Paratroop Navy what is going on?

warguy

I picked up a neat small grouping last week in an antique store but I cant figure out what this unit is. There are a lot of Navy personnel represented here but also guys with chutes. I received 3 8X10 photographs two of which I depicted here. The third photo is a duplicate of the first but with each man numbered on the front and identified on the back. At the end of the list of names is the remark "first jump-Feb. 23-1944".

I also received carbon copies of a US Navy Honorable discharge dated 1945 from a man listed as having completed the Navy parachute rigger school.

So who are these guys? Navy airmen, US Para marines with Navy riggers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kevin

post-21606-0-40185000-1469986579.jpg

post-21606-0-49229600-1469986688.jpg

post-21606-0-40185000-1469986579.jpg

post-21606-0-49229600-1469986688.jpg

Salvage Sailor

I'd say that this is a WWII USN parachute rigger graduation class or outfit

Making a jump with a chute packed by a classmate was a requirement in the course

Thanks SS, sordid theorizes themselves jump?

Sorry auto-correct strikes again and I didn't catch that you had earlier said that they did in fact jump. Thanks for the hyper link also, I never knew they were required to jump themselves. This is all starting to make a lot more sense now. Kevin

• 9 months later...

Not sure where this was taken. Years ago I made 2 jumps with Navy/Marines at Lakehurst Naval Air Station. I was assigned at Bragg, but on Special Duty at Ft Dix. I needed to make a "pay" jump. I was going to drive back to Bragg, but a fellow I worked with was sure the Navy had jumpers at Lakehurst. Sure enough, they did. I got approval from Bragg to make a jump. It would,make me the last man in the Army to make an official "pay jump" from a WW2 C-47. When I chutes up, I mentioned to the jumpmaster, that I was missing the safety wire that goes through the gate on my reserve. His answer, "It will work if you need it". I didn't question it again. I needed my $55.00! When we boarded, I was the last man on. It seemed that they wanted their Public Affairs to take a photo of me? Up in the sky, I was to be the first jumper. The door was open, and the red light on. I looked down. I asked the jumpmaster, "How,high are we"? He replied, "5,000 feet". I smiled and said, "nice ride"! He asked me how high we usually jumped? I said to him, "800 to 1,000 feet". He was a bit shocked. And I said, " this is nice, a Hollywood jump, (no combat gear) and 5,000. Then he asked "how many jumps I had"? I told him it was 40-something? He hollered at the others "Watch this man here, he has over 40 jumps". I didn't know what that was about, I figured, "joke time". I jumped and about 5 minutes later, I was on the ground. I was asked, "do you want to go again". My reply was "of course, I'll jump all day at 5,000 feet and Hollywood! I went again. Got on this open-bed truck back to the huge "Hindenburg Hanger". There was a big Maltese cross on the roof. Anyway, this guy asked how many jumps I had? He must not have known I was Army, as we were wearing no insignia or tapes on those uniforms, and the Marines had recently adopted them. When he saw my black pin-on wings, he said: "Why are you wearing those wings"? I replied, "Oh, I'm in the Army, not the Marine Corps. We don't get those pretty gold wings for making 5-more jumps". A few minutes later, he said to me, "oh, I see you have my reserve"? I didn't understand. And then he pointed at the white ducking with a number stenciled on the flap. I then asked him, "How many jumps you got". He held his hand up and his fingers as he said, "THAT WAS MY SECOND"!!!!!!! And I jumped that reserve, missing the safety wire "twice". I didn't ask, "who" packed my main! I got my jump manifest and mailed it to Bragg. I jumped with this kid that packed my reserve, on his first jump! And whoever packed my main, his first jump as well. Never again did I jump at Lakehurst NAS. So even then, these guys didn't get jump qualified at Ft Benning. They did "one-stop" training at Lakehurst for their para packers. Next time I jumped was at Ft Devens with 10th SFG!