Japanese used FN pistol with trophy document...

Len S

Here's a pistol I acquired some time ago from the widow & son of a Navy vet. He was a Motor Machinist Mate 1st class aboard the USS Clermont an Amphibious Attack Transport, The Clermont got into the war late , being commissioned in early '45. She made stops at Ulithi , Eniwetok , Okinawa and Saipan. After the surrender she hauled occupation troops to Sasebo Naval Base. She also made a trip from Japan to the Philippines and back again and finally to Pelelieu to drop off 5th Marine troops and pick up others for a return trip to the US , arriving in San Diego on 11/23/45. The pistol is an FN 1910 in 7.65 which was extremely popular with Japanese officers (also with Serbian assassins who offed Archduke Franz Ferdinand with one). The holster is a "clamshell" type that could hold a variety of foreign pistols. In my experience Pacific trophy papers are scarce and for some reason many omit recording serial #'s. Luckily this one does list the pistol's serial as well as those of other items he brought back. Here are some pics.

Len

post-14135-0-05292100-1469981517_thumb.jpg

Great find. Are this japanese markings on the left side of the gun?

There are no Japanese markings on the pistol. The only 1910's that were marked have a Japanese kanji to the left of the serial # on the right side. The kanji is "Dai" or "Great". Among collectors it's known as the "stickman" mark. I have one of those as well.

Len

post-14135-0-43467000-1469988948_thumb.jpg

post-14135-0-43467000-1469988948_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Great find. This is the first time i have seen a FN 1910 without the "Dai" symbol on it that has capture papers to document it is was actually used by the Japanese.

Let me clarify. Anyone can get a FN 1910 from the 4XXK+ serial range and place it in an appropriate Japanese made holster and say " foreign procurement collectible". You see these claims made in high end firearms auctions a few times a year. BUT - if that pistol does not have the stamped in "Dai" kanji symbol I won't touch it - no explicit proof - just implicit proof (offered with an authentic a Japanese 1910 compatible style holster).

That is what makes this item so great - capture papers with the serial number on them and tied to a great island campaign! - EXCELLENT

• 3 months later...