Admiral Arthur Dewey Struble Estate Helmet Group

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

Here is a great estate grouping that just came out of a Southern California estate sale last week.

The sale happened at the house of his daughter-in-law, who just recently passed away.

Here is a link to the Admiral's bio: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Dewey_Struble

Pretty cool history that he went in the Navy in 1915, in 1940-41 he was the XO on the USS Arizona. During Normandy he commanded a ship during the attack, this is where he got the army sd helmet and the mine sign. He then goes to the Pacific and is in command of a ship there for the battle of Leyte. He goes ashore with MacArthur when he returns. The Japanese type 90 helmet comes from this engagement. Then in 1950 he is in command of the landing at Inchon.

The two star helmet is from his Normandy period, and the three star is from Korea ( Thanks to Bugme for finding the photo of him wearing it).

Needless to say it was a good week here.

adm1.jpg

adm3.jpg

adm4.jpg

adm2.jpg

war-korean-war-struble-and-mundroft-gakcjm.jpg

vintageproductions

I love being able to match up the flaws in the photo

adm5.jpg

war-korean-war-struble-and-mundroft-gakcjm.jpg

An absolutely great find and incredible piece of history. The m1 helmets the German and Japanese helmet!!!! A collecting find of a lifetime.

Marty

vintageproductions

The single decal army helmet and the sign were given to him at Normandy

vintageproductions

Awesome! Love the photo with him wearing the helmet!!! Did it flatten your wallet a bit?!?!?

It hurt the wallet a bit, but got over then pain quickly when I took the group out of the boxes to look at again.

It's all good karma.You receive back what you put out there.Great find Bob!

(can you imagine the discussion if the 3 star M-1 popped up on ebay without the provenance.)

USMC-RECON0321

It's all good karma.You receive back what you put out there.Great find Bob!

(can you imagine the discussion if the 3 star M-1 popped up on ebay without the provenance.)

I was thinking the same thing, LOL Actually it would've been fun to post it in the helmet section here on the forum, with no background and just ask for opinions and let the firestorm start, than hit em with the photo and background story. I think it would humble a few that could use it, realizing we are way to quick to judge or over evaluate things.

That is one heck of a grouping and photo proof! Love it.

Troy

vintageproductions

Guys, trust me, I thought about doing that but it just wasn't worth giving the mods more headaches in the helmet section.

Guys, trust me, I thought about doing that but it just wasn't worth giving the mods more headaches in the helmet section.

You could have just kicked us one of those helmets for the trouble you would cause...

C'mon, we have the friendliest, most understanding, non-opinionated guys in militaria in the helmet section. :rolleyes:

You do realize that there will be someone who will dispute the provenance, even with photographic evidence, right?

Those stars look odd to me,and the paint is so sloppy. Seems to me an Admiral would have sterling devices applied not big poorly executed painted on stars, and what's with the vertical 2 star application? I don't recal that being a regulation manner for the application of rank.

1st impression, I'm not a fan.

Oh there are period Photo's of it in use?

( PM INBOUND). Are you interested in selling that helmet group you posted?

LOL

post-8016-0-19209200-1469978297.jpeg