Ww2 Bring back German Helmet,

BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH

I shared this helmet in another post with the veteran himself. His name is Nevin Gillmore. My Friend has to sell his house to move closer to his daughters. His eye site is going, plus other health issues. His wife of 60 plus years is with him so that's good. He has lived in the same house that he built after ww2. It's very sad to see this. He's actually going to a assisted living home, which i know is for the best. He deserves it. Well he called me up last night and asked if I could come over, so I did this is what he gave me. I showed it before but here are better pictures of it. I wonder if the german who took the bullet in helmet got hurt.i imagine he had a headache.post-11207-0-55573300-1469823089.jpg

Neat tropical M35 but too bad someone "nazified" it. Perhaps done to enhance it as a souvenir or by a kid playing soldier. Either way looks like it was done a long time ago.

BILL THE PATCH

This label I'm told is his name, I also found name under paint on the inside of helmet

post-11207-0-41503700-1469823360.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Here is a picture of the vets 50. Cal gun crew, who he proudly trained. Arrow point to vet, he also told me the to Italians on the left of picture jumped in. He said Italians always wanted their picture takenpost-11207-0-58793500-1469823491.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Here is the vet himself holding helmet in garage. I'll miss my old friend. He'll be about 4 hrs drive away, so that's not bad.post-11207-0-30092700-1469823781.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

The vet did the artwork himself when he got home

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

That's a great helmet and it's even more special since your friend gave it to you to take care of. I love the artwork he painted on the top of the helmet. It really personalizes the piece. I have a German helmet my great uncle sent home from France during the war but sadly he never made it back to enjoy it stateside. Just like mine I know to you this helmet is absolutely priceless and it's great that your friend had you to help look after him and his wife this late in his life and I bet he has a ton of stories from his time in the service.

BILL THE PATCH

Oh know I wasn't a caretaker just a friend, up until last year he was still working in the garage. I would stop by to get signatures for our local Republican party candidates. Got to know him about 15 years ago. He has daughters, granddaughters, and great granddaughters. I'm just a friend who spent time asking questions on his service. And yes he has great stories.

manayunkman

Very cool M35.

Any sign of decals under the tan paint?

And what is the writing on the back inside?

Any story as to how he came by it?

BILL THE PATCH

Yes he found it on the beach at Biizerti Tunisia , he was told by officers watch for booby traps, as he told it to me , he use his shoe laces belt some other straps until he had about 20 feet in lenth his words not mine. Tied the end around the helmet got back and pulled it. Nothing happened. He boxed it up sent it home. He was in the 941st aviation engrs. He also designed a logo for the unit I'll post it soon.

M24 Chaffee

Great helmet! Very special to get it from your friend. An amazing display piece with his stories to go with it.

Regards,

Frank

Love the fact there's artwork on it done by the vet himself

TR collectors often get irked about such things, but I think it only enhances the piece's history as a US capture piece. Even when a kid did it 50 years ago (I know that's not the case here), it adds a lot to the history...Jack and John running through the woods emulating their fathers and uncles...

Love the fact there's artwork on it done by the vet himself

TR collectors often get irked about such things, but I think it only enhances the piece's history as a US capture piece. Even when a kid did it 50 years ago (I know that's not the case here), it adds a lot to the history...Jack and John running through the woods emulating their fathers and uncles...

I also collect German helmets. I wouldn't be irked at all to own this one :) Its a fantastic piece!

interesting story, I like the personalized art work done by the vet, at least you dont have to wonder how it got there or who did it? like most collectors, you have his personal confirmation.

Great helmet Bill and I'm sure a great friend. I had many like that but sadly now they're almost all gone.

Ronnie

BILL THE PATCH

Here's the logo he designed for his topographic unit. It's pretty cool to bad he didn't have patches made up. post-11207-0-63593500-1469973711_thumb.jpg