Original patch art VBF-93 F4U squadron

Bob Hudson

This is original art for the patch worn by members of VBF-93, an F4U squadron that was training for the invasion of Japan when the war ended. This came from the estate of a pilot who did serve in combat earlier in the war with VC-66 (his name is the last on in the VBF-93 roster shown below. I have no idea if this is his design. He did have it framed and in fact two of the images were trimmed so they could fit into a frame.

It's an interesting progression from pencil sketch to final color design:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Patchcollector

That is ''curds and whey" cool ^_^,and just as I suspected,Disney finalized the emblem design for the unit.

Here is a link to the great page of patch images where I found the VBF-93:

https://picasaweb.google.com/105861955697485892280/1945NavalAviationVBFBombingFightingSquadronPatches

Caption under patch:

VBF 93 insignia approved 7 April 1945. Established on 2 January 1945 and disestablished on 30 April 1946.Naval Aviation History

post-13386-0-64435700-1469715458.jpg

That is ''curds and whey" cool ^_^,and just as I suspected,Disney finalized the emblem design for the unit.

Here is a link to the great page of patch images where I found the VBF-93:

https://picasaweb.google.com/105861955697485892280/1945NavalAviationVBFBombingFightingSquadronPatches

Caption under patch:

VBF 93 insignia approved 7 April 1945. Established on 2 January 1945 and disestablished on 30 April 1946.Naval Aviation History

Thanks for that. I'll move this to our Disney forum. The full color version I have has no halftone dots so it does not seem to be a printed version.

I have the creation date for this design as May 1945. Love seeing the concept art and the finished, polished Disney version. Very nice colors on the original, finished, art and I like the patch, too.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
17 hours ago, Thor996 said:

Where can a full copy of this roster be found? thanks

I found that on fold3.com