TNT Crate

doyler

Found this at an antique shop.Dont see these here and thought it was fairly unique having the paper lable intact.

post-342-0-70231100-1469595704.jpg

post-342-0-40942200-1469595714.jpg

Nice box. They do call those finger joints - right? I pick up any such box I find and can afford. They will just never make them like that again.

Doyler-

You know it's coming, so I'll start. Looks way too clean/fresh. Are the pic's accurate? 72 +- years old. Must have been perfectly climate controlled no? - Hard to pass up for a for a reasonable price. How many of those are out their in that condition? Nice find!

Thanks for all the comments.Was a fun and unexpected find.It was on a shelf and the lable was not facing out.I walked by it and then decided to look at the price.Thought the box was probably an old Dupont Dynamite box seeing the side markings.

Very cool crate Ron. I have similar one attributed to Atlas Dynamite Company. I do not think mine is military though...

Thanks gentlemen now just need to figure out if it held the small blocks 4 packs of T&T like you see in the photos with the demo bags

Nice find Ron. You DO find the neatest stuff, but I know how much effort you put in to your hunts and it pays off. Well done!

Thanks gentlemen now just need to figure out if it held the small blocks 4 packs of T&T like you see in the photos with the demo bags

Doyler,

I have no clue what your box contained, except for TNT, but one of the words looks a little like "Flaked"--if that is the case, the blocks you mention are "cast" and not flaked. Many years later (than your crate) I worked with some flaked TNT that came in plastic bags inside of boxes, but I would not have suspected plastic bags back in the time frame of your crate.

Taber

• 4 weeks later...
notinfringed

I have a tnt crate I picked up about a month ago, dated 1944. It is marked "rectangular blocks", so I assume the "flaked" would indeed be a description of the contents.