Salty Vietnam Camo M1

ttuck615

Just bought this off eBay, a very nice FS swivel bail with green camo paint, and Vietnam Camo helmet cover. It also came with a nice Westinghouse liner and what I *think* is orginal WW2 webbing, just with a newer sweatband. The helmet cover is wonderful and has that nice "salty" look to it, and all the rust stains match with the exterior of the helmet. I'm having a hard time deciding if I should put it back on and leave it on, or leave it off to display the nice camo. Let me know what you guys think, I'm really pleased either way! -Trevor

post-159808-0-59571600-1469574206.jpeg

post-159808-0-50315000-1469574219.jpeg

ArchangelDM

I saw this and looked at the camo and thought it may have been done with crayon because paint would have hit all of the rough surface with the paint where as a crayon would not have. Is it paint as its still hard to tell ? Also it's strange it's only been camo'd on one side , didn't understand why that would have been done

DC

Those were my exact thoughts too....a nice looking helmet though...now that you have it in hand how does that camo look?!....mike

Simon Lerenfort

Looks almost as though the shell was attacked by a child with crayon. Even so a nice piece of more recent history.

ArchangelDM

Those were my exact thoughts too....a nice looking helmet though...now that you have it in hand how does that camo look?!....mike

Thanks Mike

I saw this one and really liked the cover and stencil but I think a child has had a go with a crayon to replicate a camo pattern. I would of thought a soldier/marine would have completed the pattern for operational use.

I saw this and looked at the camo and thought it may have been done with crayon because paint would have hit all of the rough surface with the paint where as a crayon would not have. Is it paint as its still hard to tell ? Also it's strange it's only been camo'd on one side , didn't understand why that would have been done

DC

I thought the exact same thing! It looked very waxy in the photos but decided to roll the dice with it. Thankfully it is not! I just assume whatever brush the person applying it on to the helmet with was dry, or not very good.. The first thing I did when I got the helmet was to try and gently "scrape" the camo to see if it was wax. It did not. And the pattern is very strange, but as you can see it almost goes all the way around the helmet, and was outlined in the back, but never filled in. Of course if I scrape hard enough, paint will come off, so I don't want to do that, but as far as I can tell it isn't wax, thankfully!

Though on closer inspection, it doesn't feel waxy, but it does feel alittle different than standard paint, almost smooth but not waxy. And if I take a point to it, it doesn't scrape. I'm glad you guys mentioned crayon though because that was my first thought as well and figured if it was, the cover is still legit to the helmet, as all the rust stains match the exterior and would make a nice Vietnam display. Their is rust on the exterior of the "paint", so I'm going to snag a few close up photos and let you guys be the judge, I'm not an expert so it could have been a child messing around (yet making the helmet look cool haha) or could have been a bored GI, I'll let you guys see the close ups and determine what you think. Any idea what the stencil represents?

This is the best close ups I can get right now, as it is raining outside and my house is really dark, but one can see the rust on top of the camo "paint".

post-159808-0-52762200-1469647692.jpeg

With my experience messing around with face paint when I was a kid, that could definitely be the culprit.

It just doesn't feel or act like crayon wax, yet is smoother than normal paint would be.

ArchangelDM

The camo is very perfectly rounded , like being done with a crayon pen on camo stick , I'm going to lean towards crayon because you can see straight thin lines coming off of the helmet itself. Not sure whether the crayon was applied over the rust or not. But either way I can't see a child doing it , it's got that Pacific camo feel to it in ww2.

Plus the green is a slight yellowish as well , colours often used in the Pacific theatre and Vietnam. (Tropical colours to represent foliage , trees , grass and other hot climate plants )

It's definitely a quandary as to who did it and when but either way it's a great talking point and an interesting lid with lots of character.

Thankyou for sharing

Best

Dc

ParanormalTrooper

I agree with anton, looks like it wast done by a kid.

Very nice salty M1, I like it !

The camo is very perfectly rounded , like being done with a crayon pen on camo stick , I'm going to lean towards crayon because you can see straight thin lines coming off of the helmet itself. Not sure whether the crayon was applied over the rust or not. But either way I can't see a child doing it , it's got that Pacific camo feel to it in ww2.

Plus the green is a slight yellowish as well , colours often used in the Pacific theatre and Vietnam. (Tropical colours to represent foliage , trees , grass and other hot climate plants )

It's definitely a quandary as to who did it and when but either way it's a great talking point and an interesting lid with lots of character.

Thankyou for sharing

Best

Dc

Yeah I definitely see what you're saying with the outline being very fine, whatever was used to do the camo, it doesn't look like a brush the more i look at it. This may be a dumb question, and is impossible to ever truly know, but did soldiers in WWII or Vietnam have access to crayons in the field? The reason I decided to jump on it is it to gave me that "PTO or Vietnam jungle" feel to it. Im afraid we'll never know, but I love the look of it nonetheless! Thanks everyone for the help and comments! -Trevor

Holding the helmet and going over it for the past few hours, the green seems to almost leave an oily residue on my fingers. It's almost tacky to a extent.

Either wax or face paint, in my experience with art materials, that outer line is a dead give away. However doesn't mean it's done by a kid.

but did soldiers in WWII or Vietnam have access to crayons in the field?

Possibly

Ive talked to a vet whose mom sent him some crayons and markers in a package. He didn't know why, but he used them to mark up his cover

I've heard from RTO's that they would sometimes use grease pencils, so it could also be that