Ontario RAT-5 with Painted Sheath

Nkomo

Picked this up recently at Ft. Bragg. It is a Ontario RAT-5 knife and the sheath has been painted a tan color for a desert environment, Inside the sheath pocket was a survival saw and a whistle from a survival kit made by the Tops Knife Company.

The Ontario logo on the RAT-5 is one of the earlier logos. Does anyone have any idea when the RAT-5s were first introduced?

The painted Gerber multi-tool did not come with the knife.

13820310.jpg

13734610.jpg

You could possibly get a good answer from the sub-forum "Ontario Knife Company" over at "Bladeforums.com". It's moderated by company employee's and they should at least be able to tell you when they started making the knife. With a good picture of the stamp on the knife they may be able to narrow it down more.

You could possibly get a good answer from the sub-forum "Ontario Knife Company" over at "Bladeforums.com". It's moderated by company employee's and they should at least be able to tell you when they started making the knife. With a good picture of the stamp on the knife they may be able to narrow it down more.

Thanks for the advice and will take some more detailed pictures tonight.

I'd like to hear about any info you get on this piece. These days it's often pretty hard to separate items that saw actual service from their identical commercial counterparts.

That being said I really like the piece in the OP. Question- what's the blade length of the knife?

I'd like to hear about any info you get on this piece. These days it's often pretty hard to separate items that saw actual service from their identical commercial counterparts.

That being said I really like the piece in the OP. Question- what's the blade length of the knife?

I am thinking it might be a little more difficult to find out than I had imagined. I was trying to post a thread with pictures on bladesforum.com, but am not allowed to post pictures. Trying to figure out why.

The blade is 5" and overall length is 10 1/2". Hope this helps,

That is one of the neatest piece's I've see in a while. It is awesome!

Ronnie

Thanks, Ronnie.