Prototype WW2 US Knuckle knife

Fritz

You're welcome, I doubt much time was spent evaluating these things or better worded, not very many models. I would be suspect of most all that claim any were actually sanctioned "experimental" types.

In reading between the lines here, we could inject the procurement of commercial type hunting or sheath knives to meet the need of a close in fighting knife. Certainly a much cheaper alternative to a whole new complicated fighting/bayonet. Again, obviously the final solution was the retention of the M1 bayonet supplemented by the M3 trench knife and the adoption of the M4 for a fighting/bayonet for the carbine. This experimental trench bayonet is an interesting blurb in the thought process to meet the war effort and requirements. They really wanted to retain the devastating attributes of the M1918.

I am curious however that since the M1918 was considered "necessary" , why weren't they placed back into production...….obviously restricted materials of brass and aluminum handles were out but it could be molded in a variety of other materials. Or the design couldn't necessarily be converted for attachment to rifles, since that seemed to be a major requirement. I suppose converting existing models of bayonets was the path of least resistance in development

• 2 weeks later...