VIETNAM POCKET HANGERS - CLOTH & METAL TYPES ALL BRANCHES

firefighter

This was part of a small ID'd group to a GI in the 199th Infantry Brigade.

I think it has something to do with the 23rd Americal Div, which I think the 199th was part of.If you look at the school there are stars that look like the same design as the 23rd patch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23rd_Infantry_Division_(United_States)

Thanks firefighter. I recall seeing something years ago about the combat center patch, either in an ASMIC trading post or a copy of VICN but for the life of me I cannot anything about the article. Thanks for the correct ID on the ARVN General Staff patch too :)

Andrei this are sweeeeeet!! I like the SEADOGS & 4/47th ones.What is the ARVN one next to the 86th Advisor? I have the same 2/47th but just as a pocket patch.

Andrei this are sweeeeeet!! I like the SEADOGS & 4/47th ones.What is the ARVN one next to the 86th Advisor? I have the same 2/47th but just as a pocket patch.

It's an ARVN military school but I can't remember which one... :blush:

• 2 months later...
Salvage Sailor

firefighter, on 27 Dec 2016 - 3:25 PM, said:snapback.png

On 12/27/2016 at 3:25 PM, firefighter said:

WoW!! You guys have some killer hangers.MITCH that NAU Nam Can is one I have never seen before.I have the CTF-115 Naval Forces VN but not on a hanger

On 12/28/2016 at 7:14 AM, Mitch said:

Hi FF,
I too have never seen that beercan before. So far ,most people, that I have shown it to have not seen it before.It came with the solid anchor and the completely plastic covered NAG one

Great hangers posted so far guys. Let's see some more
Mitch

Aloha Mitch,

Here's another NAG Nam Can hanger from my collection

NAVADGRP VIETNAM Nam Can 001.jpg

NAVADGRP VIETNAM Nam Can 002.jpg

Naval Advisory Group Nam Can Anchormen in the final days of the withdrawl

11JAN1973

• At 1907 the entire LDNN/SEAL Team was ambushed on the Bo De River. Two SEALs were KIA, eight were WIA and six VNN were wounded.
  • At 2020 ATC 1272 was taken under fire by enemy forces near Nam Can. Two VNN were KIA, six VNN were WIA.

27JAN1973

• At 1800 east of Nam Can LSSL 229 was taken under fire by seven rounds of B-40 rockets. Hits were taken in the generator room and crews head. Seven VNN were wounded.

31JAN1973

• Navy's incountry strength dropped from approximately 1554 to approximately 1413

01FEB1973

• Naval Advisory Unit Nam Can disestablished and Advisors withdrawn.

U.S. Naval Forces, Vietnam Quarterly Historical Summary http://americanlegion318fl.org/COMNAVFORVRPT/1973/Jan-Mar1973.pdf

NAVADGRP VIETNAM Nam Can 003.jpg

The NAVADGRP VIETNAM tab is interesting, it's affixed to a USS MARS tab

NAVADGRP VIETNAM Nam Can 004.jpg

NAVADGRP VIETNAM Nam Can 005.jpg

NAVFORV CTF 115 Coastal Surveillance Force

CTF 115 001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"11JAN1973

• At 1907 the entire LDNN/SEAL Team was ambushed on the Bo De River. Two SEALs were KIA, eight were WIA and six VNN were wounded."

It should be noted that no US SEALs were killed on this op.

• 1 month later...

Here's the only one I have. My father gave it to me a long time ago so I'm almost 99.9% sure he got it in Vietnam. Wish he was still around to ask :(

-Derek

post-5482-0-97907800-1496633907_thumb.jpg

post-5482-0-95445000-1496633919_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

Some sweet pieces IH. 2 great examples of some fine embroidery.The Skychiefs piece looks to be a hybrid of both the hand and machine sewn styles.

• 7 months later...

Want to share the images of a cool 20th Eng. Bde theater-made patch that I have in my collection that came directly from the vet who wore it. It belonged to Spc Robert Elmore. He was drafted into the Army in May of 1966 and was sent to Fort Knox for Basic Training. Assigned to the A-10-5 Training Group, 4th Platoon. After Basic Training he was sent to Fort Irwin, California for further training. Then assigned to the 36th Engineer Battalion, B Company and was stationed there until September of 1967. The Battalion shipped out for Vietnam at that time and landed at Vung Tau, Vietnam. He was at Vung Tau until his discharge from the Army in April of 1968.

Robert currently runs a website dedicated to the 36th Eng. Bn. http://36thengineers.com/bobs36th/

Besides a photos of the patch I'm adding a photo of Bob in his khaki uniform wearing exactly this patch.

20th_Engineer_Brigade_front__800.jpgi.gif

20th_Engineer_Brigade_back__800.jpgi.gif

Robert_Elmore_36th_Eng_Bn_.jpgi.gif

• 1 month later...
firefighter

U.S. Army Construction Agency Vietnam.

New one I just got. Not a very common insignia.Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

36th Engineer Battalion.

My Dad wore this one. I am also adding a picture of him wearing it. The photo was taken as he was about to leave Hawaii after R&R was over. Notice that he is also wearing the 20th Engineer Brigade pocket patch. Just like the one posted above. He was also at Vung Tau.

After his tour was over they were coming in to process after getting off the plane in Oakland from Vietnam, there was an MP making everybody take their pocket hangers off and throw them in a box as they went in the building. He took his off and put them in his pocket.

Why did the 36th pocket patch make it home and the 20th didn't? It did. It was sewn on the Class A's he was issued to wear home.

Still figuring out the picture posting, sorry for multiple replies.

post-190254-0-93204000-1535956193.jpg

Back

post-190254-0-69472100-1535956249.jpg

Pic of him and Class A's.

post-190254-0-34687000-1535956363_thumb.jpg

post-190254-0-45278200-1535956373.jpg

... Man, I bet that M.P. Has an awesome pocket hanger collection.

Question:

WHY would those hangers have to be collected from everyone in the first place? :wacko:

Question:

WHY would those hangers have to be collected from everyone in the first place? :wacko:

Who knows. Probably for the same reason I saw units try to force Soldiers to wear a certain combat patch. Even though the regulation stated otherwise. We just ignored it.

We just have that one anecdote in time.