New EGA Reference Review: UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS EMBLEMS: 1804 TO WORLD WAR ONE, by Frederick Briuer, PhD

usmcaviator

usmcaviator

Book Review: UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS EMBLEMS: 1804 TO WORLD WAR ONE, by Frederick Briuer, PhD. Schiffer Publishing Ltd, 2016

I recently received an advanced copy of Dr Briuer’s outstanding and thoroughly researched work UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS EMBLEMS: 1804 TO WORLD WAR ONE and want to provide The Forum its first review. It should be available this month from Schiffer Publishing http://www.schifferbooks.com/united-states-marine-corps-emblems-1804-to-world-war-i-5976.html. Price is $49.95.

This is the definitive work for those seeking a well-researched and analytical study that draws conclusions as to who made these emblems, when they were made, why they were made and most important, what to look out for in terms of the ever increasing fakes/forgeries. It is the first volume with a planned second volume (1919 to present) to be released in the future. Colonel John Driscoll, USMC endorses and commends Dr Briuer’s work by kicking the book off with a wonderful and complimentary forward. Col Driscoll, was the first pioneer in describing Marine emblems with his 1971 reference: Eagle, Globe and Anchor 1868-1968.

Decades in the making, Dr Briuer photographed and analyzed some of the oldest and finest collections in the country, from public museum to private holdings. He interviewed older collectors, some of whom started collecting in the 1940’s and 50’s. This is important, as many of these collections existed well before the influx of forgeries, and since many of these collectors have passed on and their collections have since scattered, Dr Briuer had the opportunity to capture their knowledge and collections in photographs. In addition, being an Anthropologist and Archeologist, he used advanced analytical technique as he surveyed thousands of photos to determine periods of emblem wear and tracked devices bought and sold on the internet, especially those with clear provenance that could be traced to periods of wear. He also utilized other authors and researchers (like Alec Tulkoff- Grunt Gear and Equipping the Corps Vol 1: 1892-1937) to glean key purchase and contract documentation out of the archives.

Be warned, this is not a “picture” book, even though photos exist of every described piece. You will have to sit and actually “read” this book. You will not have any problems if you love the subject or are simply curious about the Marine Corps. His photographs are full color (with exception of very detailed black and white depictions/drawings) and he depict the fronts of the emblems in 1:1 scale. The only downside to the work is the lack of photo of an emblem’s rear in many, but not all, cases. He thoroughly describes the method of attachment (in text and especially in the appendix) and provides detailed black and white figure drawings of prongs, pins and catches. When Dr Briuer first started the journey decades prior, the collecting frenzy and the collector’s desire for maker’s mark and attachment variation was not there. Due to a lot of these emblems and collections being scattered since starting the effort, he couldn’t go back and start over. In order to maintain consistency, he stuck with photographing the front side of emblems for his work.

Dr Briuer’s treatment follows an evolutionary timeline (it doesn’t jump around or show redundant photos that could confuse the reader). It starts with the earliest insignia, some of which only one or very few examples exist. The reader will love how he clears the air with the now mass produced forgeries of the early stamped insignia from 1804 to 1892, explaining the history and fate of the original Stokes Kirk dies. He delves into die variations and shows the key details to look for in original and reproduced insignia. He gives a thorough treatment of the embroidered Civil War Era officer cap device, 1880’s shako shields and the oversized 1892 cork helmet device. Readers will also be excited that he thoroughly explains the history and wares of one of the finest makers of EGA insignia ever, Karl Breuninger. He wraps with another equally thorough analysis of the enlisted WW1 era collar discs and their origins.

There is a healthy amount of appendices that includes an EGA (officer) database sorted by Dr Briuer’s device coding system, examined photos, and promotion chart that can be used to draw conclusions to when a device could have been worn by said officer. Included in the appendices is a chart of all emblems addressed in the work with description of attachment, weight, and measurements. Dr Briuer, of course, ends with a very thorough and proper citing of his sources, material and credits.

This book is simply stunning in scope and research and Dr Briuer just flat out nails it. You can tell he is still a Marine with his level of attention to detail. It will be the “must have” scholarly reference on your shelf for the subject and will make us all eagerly await volume two. You will find it was well worth the wait and well worth every penny spent if you want to get serious about collecting Marine Corps EGA emblems.

LtCol Mike Manifor, USMC

Marine and EGA enthusiast

www.eagleglobeandanchor.com

post-1315-0-52382600-1468946703.jpg

Mike, great to hear Fred's book is ready to sell. I've been looking forward to his book for years. My thought is you can never have enough reference books. The hope is the two new books on EGAs will ignite Marine interest and collecting fever. Great news! T. Klie

Good news, Mike. Been waiting a long time. it will be nice to have Fred's & Tim's books side by side. Am sure they will open up some interesting discussions on our emblem. Semper Fi......Bob

usmcaviator

Probably getting way ahead of it here, but when is volume 2 anticipated to be out?

Brig,

I'll ping Fred and see if he has any estimate of date for Volume 2.

Mike

Cold beer, couple of newly published EGA books...just what everyone needs to break up this summer heat wave...

usmcaviator

Good news, Mike. Been waiting a long time. it will be nice to have Fred's & Tim's books side by side. Am sure they will open up some interesting discussions on our emblem. Semper Fi......Bob

Bob,

Absolutely! The two new books should increase interest over time and more collectors will be looking out for the EGA. I welcome it, as it will hopefully bring more of the older stuff out to the market now that people will know what it is.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Fred Briuer's book is excellent. The advanced collector of EGA should find some very interesting facts not know before this publication. I applaud Fred for his detailed work on a subject near and dear to my heart. Looking forward with great expectations for Fred's second volume. Semper Fi ! T. Klie

I agree, this is an excellent book. I love books with a lot of text to supported by good photographs. This book also compliments Klie's book nicely, and for those who received that one earlier this summer, don't put off getting Briuer's as once again, they are both required IMO for any library on this topic. Kevin

My copy arrived today, finally! Have paged through twice. Lots of reading and pics. A real high-quality Schiffer pub. A great side-by-side companion to Tim Klie's (and teufelund ret) great work. Have already seen a few 'new' gems. Any one who collects the USMC emblem needs both copies in their libraries. Semper Fi.....Bob

• 4 months later...

If you have not yet grabbed a copy of this book and you like, collect, or sometimes come across EGAs and early Marine inisgnia, I highly recommend picking this book up. The fakes are getting worse and hard to stay on top of. The book is worth every penny to help you determine real from fake/fantasy.

Volume 2 is in work!!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...