Goofy ~ Landing Craft Repair Base No. 2

aznation

Found these pics on an Ebay listiing that didn't sell. Has a picture of Goofy disney character like the one on my banner. Evidently, Landing Craft Repair Base No. 2 was on Russell island. The pics are from Christmas 1944.

a1a.jpg

a1b.jpg

Good follow-up, nice support images.

Do you know if this was a Disney generated emblem, or was this one of those insignia that 'borrowed' a Disney character for its design?

Good follow-up, nice support images.

Do you know if this was a Disney generated emblem, or was this one of those insignia that 'borrowed' a Disney character for its design?

that's a good question: has anybody asked Disney Dave?

According to my database, this "Goofy" design was unofficial. Keep in mind my database is not an all-knowing oracle nor is it complete by any stretch.

I have a couple of similar photos in my collection of the design in use at the base.

Nice pennant. I like it very much and it's an item I do not have in my collection.

First off, thank you for the comments and information.

UPDATE: I looked at the cached google entry for the 5 pictures (only one of which had the image of Goofy) of the Landing Craft Repair Base and decided to do a search for the seller id on Ebay to see if they still had the pictures but just hadn't re-listed them. I was in luck and found the seller had other items listed. I contacted them by asking a question using one of the items they were selling and I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase those 5 pictures and they're on their way to me now. Unfortunately, the gentleman I purchased them from advised me of the following which was kind of sad because there was an entire album of the Repair Base that was split up.; "Very nice pennant and I'm sorry to say there was an entire scrapbook from this Repair Base. The lady selling it at the local antique show had allowed buyers to pick whatever they wanted out of it and I got there too late to save it. The photos I sold you were pasted on one separate page and the only reason they survived is because she liked the Christmas tree image. The page was under her table and only came available after I asked if she had any other military or photos. Most of her military paper items come from auctions, so I typically make her my first stop at the monthly shows. I just missed out on the scrapbook because I was running late that day or I would have purchased it."

It's a darn shame when people break up a photo album. The history behind those photographs also breaks up at the same time and they mean so much more when kept together.