Colorized Photo of E4 Martin Bongiorno A Co. 2/502 Vietnam

AnDuc49

A famous picture taken of E4 Martin Bongiorno of Alpha Co. 2/502 during Operation Wheeler.

Photo by UPI Photographer Hiromichi Mine

2 November 1967

Martin dropped out of highschool 6 months before graduation his senior year. Enlisting at the age of 17 in December of 1966, Martin served two tours in Vietnam. This photo was taken less than a month before the end of his 1st tour. Martin returned home in December of 1968 and enrolled in college.

After switching shifts for a co worker who was announcing his engagement late in March of 1970, Martin was shot and killed at the gas station he worked at by a robber. The suspect was never found. Martin had only been home for 15 months

post-154926-0-45079700-1468876817.jpeg

Wow...is that colorized using the original UPI press photo? It is really WELL-DONE!

Thank you! Yes, the UPI photo is the only one I have of Martin. The family didn't have any other photos of him in Vietnam

Survived 2 combat tours then is killed at home. Sad.

His mother passed away in May of 67 as well

From what the family told me, he was sent back home because his mother was very sick. The night he got into the US was the same day the funeral occurred. He only found out she had passed while he was walking across a bridge to get home