"Dunkirk" movie - Warner Bros - Christopher Nolan

antek

A few details I found to be important in the movie regarding the French. In the beginning our British soldier was shown passing through the French perimeter defenses, thus establishing what the French were doing. Then we "meet" a soldier burying another and presumably "appropriating" his boots, this "main" character turns out to be a French soldier. On several occasions it is discussed that the French are holding the perimeter, or that the French defenses are holding, or that the French have collapsed, etc... Then there are the French units trying to board the ship at the Mole. We constantly see a fairly tranquil and orderly beach with the exception of the Luftwaffe raids, which I took to mean that the French were holding so that the British could evacuate en masse and in good order. Finally, the Dynamo Op is briefly discussed and it is said that they want to evac 30,000 troops. They get 300,000 and the navy officer (Branagh) says he will begin the removal of the French.

So, in my opinion, the French were well represented in as much as their role was concerned. They held the perimeter of their homeland and put up a fight out of sight of the beach where the ground portion of our movie took place. You could say that the Germans were not represented, yet did we need to see them to know they were out there? The pov scenes in the hull of the beached ship, where no Germans were shown was a riveting experience. Who among you would want to be in that boat? So, just as the French were represented, so too were the Germans, albeit abstractly.

I am not a "glass is half full" guy, but for this style of movie I feel that the representation of the French was good. They held the line, they had a main character in the film, and eventually we learned that many of them were evacuated. In the desperate days of 1940 there are precious few stories where the French can come out looking good on a large scale. This is one and in my opinion it was done tastefully within the scope of the film. Scott

I saw the movie last night in Imax. Very powerful movie. Enjoyed it very much. Went with my 21 year old son, he enjoyed it too although he is isn't a history buff like his old man. Thanks to this thread I knew to prep him with background on the event. If you get the chance to see it in Imax, recommended. Could feel it as well as see & hear. They also seemed to turn on the ac at the right times to feel the breeze!

We saw the movie Sunday and really enjoyed it.

I was, like some others, confused a bit by the non linear timeline, but figured it out.

Everyone has made excellent comments about the film that I mostly agree with.

I must say though, as a pilot, I was very pleasantly surprised to finally see a film that had accurate and well thought out aerial sequences.

The actions and dialogue were very accurate. The sounds, right down to the shaking and rattling in the cramped Spifire cockpit had a wonderful feel.

I thought that Tom Hardy did a great job of conveying his thoughts and decision making process with only his eyes and very few words.

Clearly all concerned were well briefed and coached by pilots and aviation experts...and for a change they actually must have listened!

Only two points on the flying, first I thought the extended glide ratio of the Spitfire was a bit of a reach and second, nobody closes a canopy before ditching, for reasons made obvious during egress. I personally put those two points aside for the immense quality of the rest.

John

PS: Too bad the Hurricane guys got hosed again...

Posted Image

A friend sent me this from wardrobe

It's really bad and looks nothing like a real one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the movie at times I had to keep wiping the tears out of my eyes. Like many of you I know the history of the event. I went to honor the memories of the men involved in the operation. To me Dunkirk has always been about those men and women who answered the call for help and sailed their fishing boats and pleasure craft across the channel into harms way to bring their sons and nephews home.

I loved the movie.

CNY Militaria

A total let down for me. I want my $13.50 back.

What didn't you like about it?

Battle of France BF 109 had no yellow nose. The yellow nose was for the Battle of England onward, if my memory of teenage model kit builder doesn't betray me.

Battle of France BF 109 had no yellow nose. The yellow nose was for the Battle of England onward, if my memory of teenage model kit builder doesn't betray me.

Christopher Nolan said that it was for recognition, he knew it wasn't accurate.

Saw it last night in IMAX. We thought the story and the way it was presented was great. Nolan did a great job keeping the suspense up for the entire film. Some have commented on the non linear storylines, but I didn't find it all confusing, nor did my wife. We understood we were watching 3 different storylines that all tied together at the end. I think this is definitely one movie that needs to be seen in IMAX. The sound was amazing and with the large screen and under the seat "buttkickers" amplifiers it made you feel like you were part of it instead of viewing it in your living room. The camera angles themselves added to the realism where they had the cameras mounted to the spitfire and cameramen in the water with the actors and extras.

General Colt

I saw it on opening day. It has its cheesy parts, but overall a good movie. I liked how it showed that air combat isn't easy whatsoever. Unlike "Red Tails" where one German almost takes down 2 B-17G's at once. Other than some of the scenes, i was very impressed.

Finally saw it at IMAX and thought it was an outstanding movie. This is one that I would like to see again at the theater before it leaves. This thread helped give me a heads-up about the three different story lines, so I had no problem with it. Now if this thread had only warned me NOT to sit in the front row! I think I felt every motion of the waves!

I saw it on opening day. It has its cheesy parts, but overall a good movie. I liked how it showed that air combat isn't easy whatsoever. Unlike "Red Tails" where one German almost takes down 2 B-17G's at once. Other than some of the scenes, i was very impressed.

Definite agreement with this! It was nice to see a fighter pilot have to do more than just give a short squirt of his guns and the plane go down in a ball of flames. I also like seeing the "sparkle" when the rounds struck the EA.

OK ,..............

Seen movie.

Really water down version of events.

The 12 French guys in the nice Street.

The running Brit.

The Lack of anything really.......

The Standing Royal Navy officers as the civilian Craft goes off to war.

The Pick up of the stranded BEF guy on the hull of a ship l coupled with him pushing down Boat owners son who is blinded then dies.

The Air ace who glides one side of the beach then the other shooting down a diving Stuka after shooting all day at the Lone German bomber.......Dang it got boring.

Then after the whole beach of 400,000......I mean 400 guys cheered him on he landed and set fire to his engineless plane was captured by 2 murky germans........

Meanwhile the guy who seemed to be on the side of the Germans as every ship he was near sank got in a stranded trawler and had a Its you No its him ping ping lets use our fingers to plug the holes moment......

what an odd film.

No German ponding of the beaches .........

6 Stuka 1 Henkill ......

Clean town .

Everyone happy standing in lines.

Weak Beach set dressing.

By the time the Squaddies were eating the Jam sandwiches I was wondering how the Kid had already made it onto the days paper as a hero after being murdered by the rescued nut job.

What a load of rubbish

212385c92b97d4718e27c16aca50b87d.jpg

Cut out plane burning with no engine

That's classy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all this aircraft was completely without fuel. Does duralumin burn in contact with signal flare? :lol:

Ho Hum....so the main infantry soldier spends the entire movie either running away or scheming on how to get aboard a rescue ship? Not a pretty picture of the actual British Soldier.

The other soldier, rescued as a lone survivor is in some sort of shell shock and just plain hostile to his new rescuers? Not a pretty picture of a British Soldier.

Air combat..very nice as far as equipment but seemed the Me109s all sort of flew straight and level, maybe a 20 degree bank at most, air to air is about G loads in tight turning fights. Way too much ammo to the main RAF guy, plus engine out glide and shoots down a Ju87 prior to gear down landing on the beach and yes there was no mock up engine in the burring wreck of his Spit just a long "driveshaft" from prop to where ever.

Does not even come close to Battle of Britain or The Damn Busters films, sorry!

That Spitfire was experimental specimen with long shaft taken from Airacobra :lol:

And yes, glide ratio of that Spitfire was 500, whereas modern sophisticated high-performance gliders have glide ratio up to 60. :lol:

Went to this with my wife who thoroughly enjoyed it but, had I not been warned by someone who saw it before I did, that there were three non-linear stories tied together, I'd of been lost. Also, unless you are a Brit or into military history, the average movie goer would have a hard time figuring out what led to the miracle of Dunkirk. An introduction giving a brief history would have been helpful. I then would not have had to explain what was going on to my bride.

As for the neglect of the French, I guess you can only put so much into a story but, had it not been for the French rear guard, there may not have been a miracle. Thus, they should have been included more. Of course there were the inaccuracies and the burning plane with no engine that we who collect see but Otherwise, not a half bad movie.

OK ,..............

Seen movie.

Really water down version of events.

The 12 French guys in the nice Street.

The running Brit.

The Lack of anything really.......

The Standing Royal Navy officers as the civilian Craft goes off to war.

The Pick up of the stranded BEF guy on the hull of a ship l coupled with him pushing down Boat owners son who is blinded then dies.

The Air ace who glides one side of the beach then the other shooting down a diving Stuka after shooting all day at the Lone German bomber.......Dang it got boring.

Then after the whole beach of 400,000......I mean 400 guys cheered him on he landed and set fire to his engineless plane was captured by 2 murky germans........

Meanwhile the guy who seemed to be on the side of the Germans as every ship he was near sank got in a stranded trawler and had a Its you No its him ping ping lets use our fingers to plug the holes moment......

what an odd film.

No German ponding of the beaches .........

6 Stuka 1 Henkill ......

Clean town .

Everyone happy standing in lines.

Weak Beach set dressing.

By the time the Squaddies were eating the Jam sandwiches I was wondering how the Kid had already made it onto the days paper as a hero after being murdered by the rescued nut job.

What a load of rubbish

Currently grossing over $240 million in just two weeks, where did "Fury" end up? All films have flaws and inaccuracies. So the gliding Spit was worse than a battalion of SS not being able to destroy or outflank a broken tank with a 50 year old commander? People in glass houses... Scott.