M1 Bayonet Made Under US Contract in Norway

bayonetman

Reference Page 76 in my book U.S. Knife Bayonets and Scabbards:

"An article written by Walter Svendsen, published in Norsk Vaabenhistorisk Selskab (Norwegian Historical Arms Society) in 1996 states that about 50,000 M1 bayonets and M7 scabbards were ordered in 1954. They were to be packed for overseas shipment and were delivered to US control. They have essentially disappeared as they are very uncommon today. It is presumed that they were given to some country under Military Aid but at this time to whom and what has happened to them since remains unknown."

More or less by accident I found that these are now available at DuPage Trading Company at what I feel is a very fair price. I ordered one, and received it promptly. The condition is lightly used, I would rate it at very good. They come with the correct scabbard, which I have been trying to find for over 10 years. I sent an email asking if they would tell me what country they came from to try to solve that little mystery, but so far they have not replied. If any of you know anyone at DuPage, could you ask them?

https://shop.dupagetrading.com/product_info.php/norwegian-bayonet-p-864?osCsid=2361b6dedfe72180f55796d83da29479

post-66-0-22991000-1468771445.jpg

Blade marking and Norwegian inspector mark on the guard:

post-66-0-12548900-1468705066.jpg

Scabbard markings. Left is standard US production, right is Norwegian markings.

post-66-0-51370700-1468705117.jpg

post-66-0-92863400-1468704920.jpg

Charlie Flick

Thanks for the heads up, Gary. I just put an order in for one example. I have never run across one of these before so it's nice to have the chance to pick one up now, especially since the blade comes with the proper Norwegian-made scabbard.

Regards,

Charlie

Big thanks to Gary for alerting us to these. I've been looking for one for the last 15-20 years. I have run across two of them in that time but neither had the correct scabbard. I'm looking forward to mine being delivered on Tuesday!

If memory serves correctly there was a mint bayonet and correct scabbard on Ebay a while back that sold for around $300. Over the last 30 years I've seen 4 0f this model (never with the correct scabbard). Currently have one in my collection, but ordered one anyway for the scabbard.

Just got a very nice email from Jim Yokum at DuPage.

He says that he has had these bayonets for 20 years. He got them at a DRMO (Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office) sale about 1996, at Anniston Army Depot to the best of his recollection. There were about 400 of them, not all had the Norwegian made scabbards, some with standard US made M7s. They were in a mixed lot with M1, M4, M5A1, M6 and M7, about 3,000 bayonets in total. So it appears that at least some ended up in the US system.

My thanks to Jim for his help.

Received mine today. Also very good + condition.

Now I have an example of all US contract M7's!?

Well, maybe....

Charlie Flick

Yep, my example arrived in good shape as well. Pretty much identical to Gary's pictured above, except that it has some grease/cosmoline on it and the scabbard that has to be removed.

Very happy to have this one. Thanks again to Gary for the tip to Forum Members.

Regards,

Charlie