"Before they where Famous"- Evans Carlson

Dirk

I can't thank a fellow forum member enough for tipping me off to this when it came up. One of the interesting things about collecting early Marine Corps images is given the Corps small size and combat record there is a good chance that in a group photo you will find one Marine who would later be decorated for bravery or achieve high rank.....such is the case with this detail from a yard long showing a newly commissioned Evans Carlson at his first assignment at Quantico Virginia. I believe this image was taken after he returned from Winter Manuvers in Puerto Rico and had married. Yes, restoring will be required as the print is in poor condition, but given his future impact upon the Corps, well worth preserving. Enjoy.

image.jpeg

Thanks guys! Not sure if it is the earliest of him as an officer but it is the earliest I have seen to date. I know he was briefly enlisted but I gave not seen any photos of him as such.

Super photo Dirk. You seem to be on a hot streak.

For reference here is a photo of Carlson when he served with the Raiders.

Carlson.jpg

Eric thanks! Yes, since Febuary. But now to pay the bills that come with a good streak ;) great pictures of Carlson thank you for adding it to the thread....will be a good record of him at the beginning of his career and torward the end.